Solving the Disk Motion Problem: Initial Velocity and Angular Velocity

In summary, the problem involves a spinning disk with an initial angular velocity and a linear velocity. To solve for the resultant motion, the linear and radial motions should be treated separately. The linear motion can be solved using the formula for a block stopping due to friction, while the radial motion can be solved using the moment of inertia and torque equations. The final velocity should be zero as the friction will bring the disk to a stop.
jaweibuch
if a disk which is initially spinning with an angular velocity,w, radians per second is pushed with an initial linear velocity of v, what is the resultant motion? assume a kinetic friction of mu normal to the disk

i would love to see how this problem is solved. it seems real interersting..anyone that can help would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "pushed with an initial linear velocity of v"? You push with a force, not a velocity.

so yes i think that it is a force but the force has a linear velocity? I'm not sure but just make any assumptions to solve the problem because this was the only information given to me.
thanks

Halls of Ivy - I believe the questioner meant "pushed so that it has an initial linear velocity of v". That would make sense.

Jaweibuch - I think the best way of treating this problem is to look at the radial motion and the linear motion separately. Somebody out there correct me if these can't be treated orthogonally! So for your linear motion, you start out with an initial velocity v and you have a force = mu * N acting in the direction opposite v. N is your normal force = mass * g. You will need to know your mass and gravity, or perhaps mu is a force in your case. Basically its the same problem as a block stopping due to friction.

For the radial motion case, you also have a force acting opposite your motion. In this case your friction force is acting at different radii from the center, so we might have to integrate. hmm, no luckily we don't because the moment of inertia will cancel. See below:

The mass has some distribution with respect to the radius. For example, if the disk had uniform density and thickness, then obviously there would be more mass at higher radius. Luckily there is a parameter called the moment of inertia (I) which is the integral of the mass * radius. We use I in the following formulas:

torque = I * dw/dt
torque= intergral of friction force * radius
integral of friction force * radius = I * g * mu
so...
dw/dt = g * mu

dw/dt is just the change in w per unit time (sorry, don't know how much calculus you've had).

Cheers,
krysith

thanks for getting back about the problem

i guess I'm really having problems how we find the "resultant motion" of the disk. i would just love to know how to approach the problem. i did quite understand what you said about an integral(i've been all the way through calculus, by the way. just so you know) but i took physics quite a long time ago so I'm just trying to figure out what formulas i will use when trying to solve this problem.

back to the resultant motion. does that mean i should find the final velocity as part of the answer or does it have nothing to do with the final velocity?
thanks

Sorry for taking such a long time to get back to this thread.

The "resultant motion" is simply the motion which results from the combination of the spinning plus the linear motion.

So Vr=Vs + Vl (for any point on the disk)

Remember that velocities are vectors, so use vector addition. The final velocity should be zero, if you go to large t, as the friction will bring the disk to a stop. To find the final displacement, integrate the velocity with respect to time. I hope this helps you, and that I haven't taken too long to get back to you.

1. What is the disk motion problem?

The disk motion problem refers to the mathematical challenge of determining the initial velocity and angular velocity of a disk based on its motion and position data. It is commonly encountered in physics and engineering problems involving rotating disks.

2. Why is solving the disk motion problem important?

Solving the disk motion problem is important because it allows us to predict and control the motion of rotating disks, which is essential in designing and optimizing various mechanical systems such as engines, turbines, and gears.

3. What factors affect the initial velocity and angular velocity of a disk?

The initial velocity and angular velocity of a disk are affected by the mass, shape, and size of the disk, as well as external forces such as friction, torque, and air resistance. The initial conditions of the disk's motion, such as its starting position and velocity, also play a role.

4. How is the disk motion problem typically solved?

The disk motion problem is typically solved using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion, angular momentum, and conservation of energy. These equations can be solved using numerical methods or by hand using calculus.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving the disk motion problem?

Solving the disk motion problem has numerous real-world applications, including designing and optimizing rotating machinery, analyzing the motion of celestial bodies, and modeling the behavior of atoms and molecules. It is also used in sports science to understand the motion of spinning objects such as balls and frisbees.