How Can I Make an Electrical Connection with One Rotating Wire?

In summary, someone suggested that someone should reinvent the wheel in order to solve a problem. However, this approach is often met with disdain because it is seen as a lazy way to solve a problem. Furthermore, the invention of the wheel was not a great achievement until someone cut its corners off.
kld15
I don't have extensive knowledge of electrical engineering so I need a little help.

I want to make an electrical connection, but with one small hurdle. One wire must be stationary, and the other must be allowed to rotate. How would you guys go about solving this problem?

My first thought was some sort of bearing. I've done a little research and found that there are some conductive bearings out there, but I would have no idea where to find a good one. Does anybody have any insight on this type of thing?

Also, if anybody has other ideas, please teach me!

Engineering news on Phys.org
based on what type of connection you are using this can be split ring (dc supply) or slip ring (ac supply)

If the voltage is less than 48V then you could make your slip rings from the brushes and rings of a disused automotive alternator.

Hello kld15

Google "Mercotac" They have all kinds of slip ring type connectors.
The Leslie loudspeaker company used connectors like that to connect their rotating loudspeakers.

Somewhere I've seen a low cost rotatable connector for telephone cables, to prevent twisting.

Ralf

Take apart an old car alternator and study the slip=rings & brushes.

Don't re-invent the wheel - it's no shame to copy and adapt to your needs.

About reinventing the wheel

jim hardy said:
Don't re-invent the wheel

Remarks like that always get to me.
I looked at all the posts and no one seems to suggest to reinvent anything.
Every time I heard that remark in the past, it was used as a put-down.

Besides, the invention of the wheel wasn't that great of an achievement until someone cut its corners off.

Ralf

Trackmann said:
Remarks like that always get to me...

Ralf

But that has nothing to do with the op's question, which was:
How would you guys go about solving this problem?

kld15 said:
I don't have extensive knowledge of electrical engineering so I need a little help.

I want to make an electrical connection, but with one small hurdle. One wire must be stationary, and the other must be allowed to rotate. How would you guys go about solving this problem?

My first thought was some sort of bearing. I've done a little research and found that there are some conductive bearings out there, but I would have no idea where to find a good one. Does anybody have any insight on this type of thing?

Also, if anybody has other ideas, please teach me!
Most steel ball bearings are conductive. I have some problems imagine your idea. Is it so that the stationary wire is connected to the center of this bearing while the rotating wires are connected to the outer part of the same bearing, and looped back somehow to the other end of the stationary wire?

Vidar

Trackmann said:
Remarks like that always get to me.
I looked at all the posts and no one seems to suggest to reinvent anything.
Every time I heard that remark in the past, it was used as a put-down.

Besides, the invention of the wheel wasn't that great of an achievement until someone cut its corners off.

Ralf

Why? This time it was made 'helpfully'(as is normal for Jim :approve:) so there is no need for offence - and even less for vicarious offence). Start from where others have left off and, if by then, you have become an expert, you may improve on things. Engineering very seldom starts from square one - it's not an intuitive subject and relies on experience and incremental advances.

Likes 1 person

What are rotating electrical wires?

Rotating electrical wires are wires that are designed to move or rotate while still maintaining an electrical connection. They are commonly used in motors and generators, where the movement of the wire is essential for the device to function.

How do rotating electrical wires work?

Rotating electrical wires work by using a brush or slip ring system to transfer electricity from a stationary power source to a rotating component. This allows the electricity to flow through the wire while it is in motion, powering the device.

What are the benefits of using rotating electrical wires?

The main benefit of using rotating electrical wires is that they allow for continuous electrical connection even while in motion. This makes them essential for devices that require movement, such as motors and generators. Additionally, they can reduce the need for multiple wires and connections, making them more efficient and cost-effective.

What are some common applications of rotating electrical wires?

Rotating electrical wires are commonly used in various industrial and household applications, including electric motors, generators, alternators, and even some household appliances such as fans and blenders. They are also used in vehicles, such as cars and trains, to power their engines and other rotating components.

What are the potential issues with rotating electrical wires?

One potential issue with rotating electrical wires is wear and tear due to constant movement, which can lead to damage or breakage. This can affect the performance and efficiency of the device using the wire. Additionally, the brush or slip ring system used to transfer the electricity can wear out over time and require replacement. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can help prevent these issues.