Rotating Vector Spherical Harmonics Solutions

In summary, the conversation is about rotating solutions of the Helmholtz equation, which are vector spherical harmonics. The rotations are expressed as a linear combination of the solutions over different values of l, but the correct weighting for this combination is unclear. Some suggest using the Wigner D function, but the results do not match expectations. Suggestions are made to use rotation matrices and to check for orthogonality and determinant properties. It is also mentioned that generating VSH's in Mathematica using the SphericalHarmonicY function may be more effective than using LegendreP.
Gwinterz
Hello,

I am looking for some direction to books or papers which may help me,

When you solve the Helmholtz equation you end up with vector spherical harmonics as solutions. The Helmholtz equation is invarient under rotations which means that rotations of these solutions are also solutions.

I am looking for a way to rotate these solutions, for example around the y-axis by some angle β.

The solutions look like:
2q24pw4.jpg

So far all that I have been able to find is that rotations of these solutions can be expressed as a linear combination of them over different l's. What I am unsure about is what the weighting is of this linear combination. I have found some people state that it is the Wigner D function (with an unhelpful reference), but after doing the calculations it doesn't seem like these work as I would have expected.

It's hard for me to distinguish between bad coding and bad intuition at the moment because I haven't found much information about such rotations online.

Is the Wigner D function the correct waiting? Are there some other rotation matrix elements that I should be using as the weighting? Does anyone know of anywhere I could find some more information to learn this properly?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey Gwinterz.

Rotation matrices have the property that the determinant is 1 and that R^t = R^(-1) (transpose and inverse).

You can construct a general rotation around an axis using a standard matrix and you can also use quaternions if you want to interpolate between rotations on the unit sphere.

Basically these matrices can be expanded for each component and this will give you the general components for the final vector in terms of parameters like an axis and angle or something else.

Aside from this, you could use the tensor formulation and simply use two different co-ordinate systems that are related by the change of basis matrix - the metric tensor.

I don't know what experience you have so I'll just leave it at that.

Hey Chiro,

Thanks for your reply,

I think the matrix you may be referring too, or at least in my application, is the Wigner D matrix, in which the Wigner D function takes its form.

Basically what the problem I have been having is, is that I've been questioning if this is the correct rotation matrix.

I collaborated with some people who have done similar calculations recently and they have informed me that they too used this Wigner D function.

For example, referring to the harmonic X, in the picture of my first post, if you were to write this in another set of co-ordinates it would look like this:
10fnw2d.jpg

Or in Mathematica talk,
2mxegyh.jpg

The problem I have now is that if I plot the norm of the original harmonic as well as the norm of the rotated harmonic, not only is the function not rotated by the amount I tell it too, but there is a larger (factor of 100) drop in the maximum value of the norm.
oiycmp.jpg

Instead of the peak shifting by 1, it only shifts by a little, and as you can see there is a large drop in the magnitude of the norm.

Can you see something that I'm doing incorrectly? I don't think the size of the norm should drop at all, it should be the same no matter what rotation is made.

One suggestion I have is to use matrix multiplication instead of using the summation.

What are the structures of your variables? Rotating a vector should return a vector so I'm assuming your calculating linear combinations of your vector with respect to your rotation matrix.

It's a lot easier to check the matrix because you can also check the determinant as well as the orthogonality condition (if it must hold).

You can use your WignerD function to populate the matrix and then you can print the matrix and its contents to see if it comes out right. You can also check the other properties (like determinant of +1 and R^t = R_inv) to make sure it is a rotation matrix.

That's a great idea, thanks for that, will try it out!

For anyone who ever has this problem,

Generate your VSH's in Mathematica using the SphericalHarmonicY function, rather then LegendreP[..., Cos[theta]]. Even though the functions are essentially the same for thi = 0, up to normalisation, for some reason the rotation does not work...

What are rotating vector spherical harmonics solutions?

Rotating vector spherical harmonics solutions are a set of mathematical functions used to describe the behavior of vector fields in a spherical coordinate system. They are used in many fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering.

How are rotating vector spherical harmonics solutions derived?

Rotating vector spherical harmonics solutions are derived from the spherical harmonics solutions, which are a set of functions used to describe the behavior of scalar fields in a spherical coordinate system. The rotating solutions are obtained by applying a rotation operator to the spherical solutions.

What are the applications of rotating vector spherical harmonics solutions?

Rotating vector spherical harmonics solutions are used in many applications, including antenna design, electromagnetic wave propagation, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a rotating frame of reference.

What are the properties of rotating vector spherical harmonics solutions?

Rotating vector spherical harmonics solutions have a number of important properties, including orthogonality, completeness, and symmetry. They also have a well-defined transformation behavior under rotations, making them useful for solving problems involving rotating systems.

Are there any limitations to using rotating vector spherical harmonics solutions?

While rotating vector spherical harmonics solutions are a powerful tool for solving problems in spherical coordinates, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not be applicable in cases where the vector field is not smooth, or when the coordinate system is not truly spherical. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of using these solutions in any given application.