Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating Inertia

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    We have two rotors & the rotor inertia combined is (MKSA) 1,333kgm^2 from the manufacturers specifications.

My question is, if we apply a braking load to the rotors while acellerating them what influence does the rotor inertia then have on things?

Just say we have a braking load of 100ft/lbs or 200ft/lbs etc on the rotors & we acellerate them to say 700rpm or 1000rpm in 1 second or 2 seconds etc, what influence then does the rotor inertia have. Or does the rotor inertia get cancelled out because we are dragging a brake sort of thing & the inertia value just becomes part of the braking load & not a seperate issue???

I can see if the braking load is very small the rotor inertia will have an effect while acellerating the rotors but when the braking load is high i am just not sure how this effects things?.

Some equations for working the effects out would be very useful if someone could help me out!

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted