1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating loop - Faraday's Law

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Plate is rotating on the yz plane, so perpindicular to x-plane. It is rotating at angular velocity, W = 10 [rad/s]. If B = 0.2ay [T] and phi = 0 @ t = 0, find the current i, which is flowing up the portion of the loop that is along the z-axis (current is directed toward increasing values of z). A 10 ohm resistor also lies on the positive z-axis that the current goes through. Assume loop inductance is neglibile

2. Relevant equations
    Faraday's Law, net voltage around a closed path is equal to the net time-varying mag. flux passes through the surface of your choosing.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, using Faraday's Law, I can break down the magnetic field integral into two components, the motional EMF minus the transformer EMF. The B-field is not changing with respect to time so the tranformer EMF goes to zero. The formula for motional EMF is:[(u x B) • dl]. Because the velocity around the edge of the rotating plate that is standing up straight on yz plane, u = W*p*aphi. Taking the cross product of u/B] x B, and then multiplying the different displacement vector (dl), I determine the current to be i(t) = 2.4-4sin(Wt). I have checked my calculations through these steps (i.e. making sure I multiplied centimeters by centimeters), and I don't see where I am going wrong. The correct answer is i(t) = 2.4-6sin(Wt). How can I be off by a factor of 2?! Please help!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2
    [PLAIN]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4404/75662244.jpg [Broken]

Attached is an image to help clarify what I am asking. Now has been the first opportunity for me to gain access to a scanner. Thanks again for all help!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook