Can Rotating Magnets Create a Stronger Magnetic Field?

In summary, the individual has a doubt about the behavior of magnets at high speeds of rotation, specifically at 1000000 rpm. They are curious about the resulting magnetic field and whether it changes immediately when moved or if it depends on the distance from the object. They also express concern about the material stress and strain at such high speeds. They mention the world record for rotation being 1 million rpm, and provide a link to YIG oscillators as a reference.
lovicodo
hello, i have a doubt

i bought some small neodimium magnets 8x3mm
and now i would like to try some experiments with them

i have a doubt:
if i rotate one of these magnet around one of its parallel axis, very fast , near 1000000 rpm,
what happens to the magnetic field produced by the magnet?
if i bring another identical magnet near this rotating magnet, the magnet will be attracted or repelled?

if instead i mount two magnets on two opposite sides of a 1000000 rpm rotating wheel, what kind of 'resulting magnetic field' i will get?

does the magnetic field have 'a spatial persistence', i.e. does it change immediately as soon as the object is moved, or not? does this depend on the distance from the object?

sorry for the many questions, :)
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
lovicodo said:
does the magnetic field have 'a spatial persistence', i.e. does it change immediately as soon as the object is moved, or not? does this depend on the distance from the object?

so what do you think ?
what reading have you done so far?

lovicodo said:
near 1000000 rpm,
Will the magnet material stay intact at those speeds? This sounds dangerous. I don’t think that you should worry about the magnetic fields as much as the material stress and strain and strength.

Likes CWatters and davenn
I think 1 million rpm was a world record only 10 years ago.

CWatters said:
I think 1 million rpm was a world record only 10 years ago.
Link? It must have been a pretty small magnet! :smile:

I'm reminded of YIG oscillators... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YIG_sphere

1. How do rotating magnets create a stronger magnetic field?

Rotating magnets create a stronger magnetic field through a phenomenon known as electromagnetic induction. As the magnets rotate, they create a changing magnetic field which induces an electric current in nearby conductors. This current, in turn, creates its own magnetic field that adds to the original field of the rotating magnets, resulting in a stronger overall magnetic field.

2. Can any type of magnet be used for creating a stronger magnetic field through rotation?

Yes, any type of magnet can be used for this purpose as long as it is strong enough to create a significant magnetic field. However, permanent magnets, such as neodymium magnets, are often preferred due to their high magnetic strength.

3. Is there a limit to how strong the magnetic field can get through rotating magnets?

Yes, there is a limit to how strong the magnetic field can get through rotating magnets. This limit is determined by the strength of the magnets, the speed of rotation, and the distance between the magnets and the conductors. Beyond a certain point, the magnetic field will not get any stronger even with increased rotation or stronger magnets.

4. Can rotating magnets be used to create a magnetic field in any direction?

Yes, rotating magnets can create a magnetic field in any direction as long as the magnets are properly aligned. The direction of the magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the orientation of the magnets and the direction of rotation.

5. Are there any practical applications for using rotating magnets to create a stronger magnetic field?

Yes, there are several practical applications for using rotating magnets to create a stronger magnetic field. Some examples include electric generators, motors, and magnetic levitation systems. Rotating magnets can also be used in scientific research to study the effects of strong magnetic fields on materials and particles.