1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating reference frame help

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have attached the problem as a picture on this post, am really really unsure on how to start!

so far the only thing i can think of doing is using this equation

[tex] (\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}})_{s} [/tex] = [tex]( \frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}})_{s'} + 2ω \times (\frac{dr}{dt})_{s'} + \dot{ω} \times r + ω \times [ω \times r] [/tex]

And now just solve for r, but in the s reference frame ?

any help appreciated really stuck.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2014 #2
    Not even part (i)?

4. May 30, 2014 #3
    No, I dont see how it works?

5. May 30, 2014 #4
    Assume that the rod is pointing momentarily north.

What forces acting on the bead, in the inertial frame, can you think of? What are their directions?

6. May 30, 2014 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Hm, I must admit that I always have trouble using forces to derive the equations of motion. If you have Hamilton's principle at hand, it's way simpler to use the Euler-Lagrange equations and then work out the forces at the very end ;-)).

7. May 30, 2014 #6
    That's cheeeeeating! :)

8. May 30, 2014 #7
    so basically, if i understand correctly, the rod is lying in the x' axis. we have a weight force, and a normal force. thats in the intertial reference frame? the weight force cancels out the normal....

9. May 30, 2014 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

10. May 31, 2014 #9
    If the weight cancelled the normal force, the bead would have zero resultant force acting on it. What it is the motion under zero resultant force? Does that seem plausible in the situation at hand?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted