Rotating reference frame help

In summary, the problem asks for the equation of a rod that is momentarily north of the origin. The student is stuck and needs help.
natalie

Homework Statement

I have attached the problem as a picture on this post, am really really unsure on how to start!

so far the only thing i can think of doing is using this equation

[tex] (\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}})_{s} [/tex] = [tex]( \frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}})_{s'} + 2ω \times (\frac{dr}{dt})_{s'} + \dot{ω} \times r + ω \times [ω \times r] [/tex]And now just solve for r, but in the s reference frame ?

any help appreciated really stuck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 12.33.53.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 12.33.53.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
Not even part (i)?

voko said:
Not even part (i)?

No, I don't see how it works?

Assume that the rod is pointing momentarily north.

What forces acting on the bead, in the inertial frame, can you think of? What are their directions?

Hm, I must admit that I always have trouble using forces to derive the equations of motion. If you have Hamilton's principle at hand, it's way simpler to use the Euler-Lagrange equations and then work out the forces at the very end ;-)).

vanhees71 said:
then work out the forces at the very end ;-)).

That's cheeeeeating! :)

voko said:
Assume that the rod is pointing momentarily north.

What forces acting on the bead, in the inertial frame, can you think of? What are their directions?

so basically, if i understand correctly, the rod is lying in the x' axis. we have a weight force, and a normal force. that's in the intertial reference frame? the weight force cancels out the normal...

natalie said:
so basically, if i understand correctly, the rod is lying in the x' axis. we have a weight force, and a normal force. that's in the intertial reference frame? the weight force cancels out the normal...

If the weight canceled the normal force, the bead would have zero resultant force acting on it. What it is the motion under zero resultant force? Does that seem plausible in the situation at hand?

1. What is a rotating reference frame?

A rotating reference frame is a coordinate system that is moving or rotating relative to an observer's frame of reference. It is used to describe the motion of objects in a rotating system, such as a spinning top or a planet orbiting a star.

2. Why do we use a rotating reference frame?

We use a rotating reference frame to simplify the analysis of motion in a rotating system. In a non-rotating reference frame, the equations of motion become more complex due to the effects of rotation. By using a rotating reference frame, we can eliminate these effects and make the analysis easier.

3. How do we define a rotating reference frame?

A rotating reference frame is typically defined by an origin point, a set of coordinate axes, and a rate of rotation. The origin point is usually located at the center of rotation, and the axes are aligned with the rotating system. The rate of rotation is defined by the angular velocity of the system.

4. What are some applications of rotating reference frames?

Rotating reference frames are commonly used in physics and engineering to study rotational motion, such as the motion of celestial bodies, gyroscopes, and flywheels. They are also used in fluid dynamics to analyze the motion of fluids in a rotating system, such as hurricanes and tornadoes.

5. Can a rotating reference frame be non-inertial?

Yes, a rotating reference frame can be non-inertial, meaning that it is accelerating or decelerating. In non-inertial frames, objects appear to experience fictitious forces, such as the Coriolis force and the centrifugal force. These forces are not real, but rather a result of the rotating frame of reference.