Rigid Bodies Moment, Rotation & Angular Velocity Basics

In summary, the conversation discusses a first year mechanical engineering student who is struggling with the concepts of moment, rotation, and angular velocities and accelerations of rigid bodies. They are seeking recommendations for articles or books that can help with understanding these concepts, specifically with example solutions. Two books are suggested, with one being the 1972 edition of a book that is more advanced and recommended for first year university self-study.
RRachev
Hello,

I am first year mechanical engineering student and I am struggling with the concept of moment, rotation and angular velocities, accelerations of rigid bodies. Can someone recommend an article with problems or an excerpt from a book or something similar to help me. It would be great if there are some example solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What are rigid bodies?

Rigid bodies are objects that do not deform or change shape when subjected to external forces. They maintain a fixed shape and size, even when forces are applied to them. Examples of rigid bodies include a solid block, a car, or a book.

2. What is moment of a rigid body?

The moment of a rigid body is a measure of its tendency to rotate around a particular point or axis. It is the product of the force applied to the object and the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. It is also known as torque.

3. How is angular velocity related to rotation?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating. It is defined as the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time. In other words, it is the speed at which an object is rotating around an axis. The greater the angular velocity, the faster the rotation.

4. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a rigid body?

The moment of inertia of a rigid body is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass distribution and shape of the object. The formula for calculating moment of inertia is I = ∫r²dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the infinitesimal mass element dm.

5. What are some real-life applications of rigid bodies and rotation?

Rigid bodies and rotation have many real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and sports. For example, the rotation of a wheel on a car allows it to move forward, and the rotation of a propeller on a plane allows it to fly. In sports, the rotation of a ball in activities like basketball, soccer, and tennis affects its trajectory and movement.