Why Might a Rotating Ring in a B-field Ignore Certain Torques?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a ring and Faraday's Law. The solution involves finding the induced current, magnetic torque, and solving for the average torque. There is a question about whether the vertical component of the B-field will cause the ring to rotate about two axes, but it is determined that the torque is cancelled out by the reaction forces at the pivots.
phantomvommand
Summary:: Please see the attached photo.

Screenshot 2021-03-14 at 3.12.50 AM.png

I have obtained the correct answer, and my solution agrees with the official solution. However, I have some questions about why the solution is correct. (One may have to draw out some diagrams for this problem, it was quite hard to visualise for me.) The solution goes as such:
1. Find the induced current in the ring using Faraday's Law
2. Find the magnetic torque mu x B, where B is the horizontal component of B-field
3. Using average torque = Ia, solve for a, and then perform some integration.

My question at step 2. Notice that there is still a vertical component of B-field that is perpendicular to the Area vector, and thus perpendicular to magnetic dipole moment mu. Wouldn't this component of B-field exert a torque on the ring about another axis, resulting in the ring rotating about 2 axes? Why can this torque be ignored?

All help is appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a picture that comes with this problem? Note the sentence "You may assume that the frictional effects of the supports and air are negligible." I understand "air" but what "supports" are these? It could very well be that there is a fixed vertical axis that goes through the vertical diameter of the ring.

Likes phantomvommand and Steve4Physics
phantomvommand said:
My question at step 2. Notice that there is still a vertical component of B-field that is perpendicular to the Area vector, and thus perpendicular to magnetic dipole moment mu. Wouldn't this component of B-field exert a torque on the ring about another axis, resulting in the ring rotating about 2 axes? Why can this torque be ignored?
Hi. Just to add what @kuruman has said...

The question mentions 'supports'. It is unclear, but suggests that the coil is in a vertical plane with a fixed pivot at the bottom of the coil and another fixed pivot vertically above, at the top of the coil (or perhaps a vertical axle).

If this is the case, the only possible axis of rotation is the vertical diameter.

There will be a (horizontal, rotating) torque arising from the vertical componennt of B. But this will be canceled by the torque produced by horizontal reaction forces at the pivots. So the resutant torque will be the vertical torque you calculated.

Likes phantomvommand and kuruman

1. What is a rotating ring in a B-field?

A rotating ring in a B-field is a scientific phenomenon in which a ring-shaped object rotates when placed in a magnetic field. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric currents induced in the ring.

2. How does a rotating ring in a B-field work?

The rotation of the ring is caused by the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged particle moving in a magnetic field. In this case, the induced electric currents in the ring experience a force that causes the ring to rotate.

3. What are the applications of a rotating ring in a B-field?

One application of a rotating ring in a B-field is in electric motors, where the rotation of the ring is used to generate mechanical motion. It is also used in generators, where mechanical motion is converted into electrical energy.

4. What factors affect the rotation of a ring in a B-field?

The rotation of a ring in a B-field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the ring, and the material the ring is made of. The direction of the magnetic field and the orientation of the ring also play a role in the rotation.

5. Is a rotating ring in a B-field a perpetual motion machine?

No, a rotating ring in a B-field is not a perpetual motion machine. The ring requires an external source of energy, such as an electric current, to maintain its rotation. Without this external energy input, the ring will eventually stop rotating due to friction and other factors.