1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating rod

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    The question is as the attachment...
    May i know if i want to find the angular speed of the rod when it inclined at certain angle, or at horizontal, can i use the [tex]\varpi[/tex]^2=[tex]\varpi[/tex]_0^2+2[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\vartheta[/tex]?

Attempt: I used it, and used conservation of energy, the latter produces right answer, but i don't know why first one won't work. Any clues?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi rasensuriken! :smile:

I can't read your formula … but, looking at the .jpg, I don't think the angular acceleration, α, is constant (because the torque from the weight is different for different angles).

So a formula using constant α won't work! :smile:

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    tiny-tim is right, the author of the JPEG image made a mistake. He forgot that the torque is a cross product of radius and the force, which depends on the angle. And the angle changes as the whole thing swings down, so the alpha should be more like:
    [tex]\tau = MG\frac{L}{2} \sin{\omega t}[/tex]
    Which, as you can see, depends on the time and so is not constant. The conservation of energy worked because it does not care about the acceleration at any point, but only on the initial and final conditions.

5. Apr 12, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi kkrizka! :smile:

No, he didn't forget … he only asked for the inital values, for which his equations are correct.

The question in the OP is rasensuriken boldly going further! :smile:

6. Apr 12, 2008 #5
    Ah whoops, I've been reading too many phys problems lately and they are starting to get mixed up. :P

7. Apr 13, 2008 #6
    ya....i also just thought of that....the acceleration is not constant...because the L/2 relative to the center of mass keep on changing...thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?