Calculating Rotation Speed for Artificial Gravity on a Rotating Space Station

In summary, another problem is that the station's rotation speed needs to be around 70.69 m/s in order for an effect equal to gravity at the surface of the Earth (1g) to be felt.
SnowOwl18
Another problem (oy!):

------A projected space station consists of a circular tube that is set rotating about its center (like a tubular bicycle tire). The circle formed by the tube has a diameter of about D = 1.02km. What must be the rotation speed (in revolutions per day) if an effect equal to gravity at the surface of the Earth (1g) is to be felt? Do not enter units. ---------

Ok, so first I found the velocity of the station by doing v= sqrt r x g . I got 70.69 m/s. And then I used the formula T= 2PiR/V ...and I got 45.33 rps...or at least I think it's revolutions per second. It asks for revolutions per day, so I multiply 3600s (per hour) by 24 hours (in a day) and get 86400...so I multiplied that by 45.33 to get 3.9e6...but apparently I'm wrong. If anyone could be so kind as to enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! (again).

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like the problem lies in the units again.

or at least I think it's revolutions per second. --> don't be too sure.

lol i had a similar problem last time and never figured it out. i can't seem to figure that one out...you have meters on the top and m/s on the bottom...so wouldn't the answer be in seconds?

Yes, the period would be measured in seconds. However, it is actually in radians per second (2pi radians being 1 revolution). I believe (and I'm not sure as i only did this 3 weeks ago in class and am not an expert) that this is because of how it is defined. It all comes from the rotational motion formula s = r*theta - which is a radian measure. So as you go through it all, the final answer will be radians per second. Anyone care to expand on this?

ohh...that would change my answer. lol. so i can't use that equation then? or if i could, how would i convert?

1 revolution = 2pi radians

wait so the r in 2piR is radians? in my physics book it says it's the radius...sorry if i sound stupid...they just didn't teach this to us, so I'm having difficulty understanding

I understand your confusion (heck I am confused too), but let's see how i can explain this. R is the radius yes. However, the answer is a radian measure (not revolution). Actually, I'm not sure i quite understand this either. Is there anyone that can clarify? Because in my textbook they say the period is a "radian measure" but what do they mean by that?

Radian is the distance in a unit circle. An unit circle has a radius 1 so therefore it has a 2pi circunference, you measure around this circle a distance x. Of course we define radian as angle, but a radian is exactly the same as the distance in a unit circle.

Also Radian is also considered an artificial unit, you can see this because

Arc Distance

[tex] s = r\theta [/tex]

s is in meters and r is in meters too, so when you divide to get theta you get 1, rather than an unit.

Last edited:
alright...but how would i use that in this problem? it seems that if i divided my answer by the angular speed i could get the answer in seconds...but there aren't any angles involved in this problem...that's a few chapters ahead of where we are. there must be something simpler...but what...

SnowOwl18 said:
alright...but how would i use that in this problem? it seems that if i divided my answer by the angular speed i could get the answer in seconds...but there aren't any angles involved in this problem...that's a few chapters ahead of where we are. there must be something simpler...but what...

Show me the [tex] v = \sqrt{rg} [/tex] calculation

v= sqrt rg...sqrt (510m x 9.8 m/s^2) = 70.69 m/s

Check the complete work again, i'll say.

1. What is a rotating space station?

A rotating space station is a hypothetical structure in outer space that rotates to create artificial gravity. It is designed to simulate the gravitational force found on Earth, allowing astronauts to live and work in a more comfortable and familiar environment.

2. How does a rotating space station work?

A rotating space station works by spinning at a constant speed, creating centrifugal force that mimics the effects of gravity. The structure must be large enough for the centrifugal force to counteract the pull of gravity, and the rotation must be fast enough to generate a similar gravitational force to Earth's.

3. What are the benefits of a rotating space station?

A rotating space station has several benefits. It can provide a more comfortable living environment for astronauts, as they will not experience the negative effects of weightlessness such as muscle and bone loss. It can also allow for longer missions in space, as astronauts can maintain their physical health and perform tasks more easily.

4. Are there any challenges or drawbacks to a rotating space station?

One of the main challenges of a rotating space station is the engineering and construction involved. The structure must be able to withstand the forces of rotation and must be built in a way that will not introduce any unwanted motion or vibrations. There are also potential health risks associated with prolonged exposure to artificial gravity, though this has not been extensively studied.

5. Has a rotating space station been built or used before?

While there have been several space stations in orbit around Earth, none of them have been designed as rotating space stations. However, there have been smaller experiments and simulations conducted on the effects of artificial gravity, such as the short-lived Skylab mission in the 1970s. Currently, there are plans to build a rotating space station as part of the Gateway project, a lunar outpost planned by NASA and international partners.