Rotating Space Station Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving velocity, force, and apparent weight on a rotating space station. The solution involves calculating the velocity of the astronaut and the rotating space station, and using the force formula to find the apparent weight. Tips for reducing image size are also mentioned.
sclatters

Homework Statement

29yqrmp.png

Homework Equations

a=v2/r

f=mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been able to complete this first part of the question by equating 0.7g to v2/r, solving to find v then calculating T by looking at the circumference of the cylinder and using v=d/T.

I'm really struggling with the next part. Do I need to calculate the force on the astronaut himself (using f=mv2/r) and perhaps use this to help with finding the apparent weight?

Thanks.

P.s. If anyone could explain how to make the image smaller, that would be great!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sclatters said:
P.s. If anyone could explain how to make the image smaller, that would be great!
I think tinypic provides thumbnails (=smaller versions) for their uploads. Alternatively, use a graphics program.The "apparent weight" is the same as the force acting on the astronaut, and you can use the same formula as in the first part, right. Just keep in mind that the velocity is different.

Ok, so I now have the following apparent weights:

Velocity of astronaut=5m/s
Velocity of rotating space station=(√0.7gr)m/s

For ABC: a=((√0.7gr)+5)/r

For ACB: a=((√0.7gr)-5)/r

Do these sound ok?

Velocity of rotating space station=(√0.7gr)m/s
Just vstation=√(0.7gr)
The variables have the proper units, if you add more units it gets wrong.

You can calculate the velocity for the rotating space station, as you know g and r.
There are squares missing.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, that's my poor inputting!

ABC: a=((√0.7gr)+5)2/r

ACB: a=((√0.7gr)-5)2/r

(To be inputted into a calculator)

I hope these look better!

That notation is a bit ambiguous in terms of "what does the square root cover", but I guess you mean the right thing.

Sorry I didn't know how to extend the square root, I'll have to learn! Thanks for the help!

1. What is a rotating space station?

A rotating space station is a hypothetical structure designed to simulate the effects of gravity in outer space. It consists of a large rotating wheel or ring that creates centrifugal force, which mimics the pull of gravity on objects inside the structure.

2. How does a rotating space station work?

A rotating space station works by spinning at a constant speed, creating centrifugal force which pulls objects towards the outer edges of the structure. This centrifugal force acts as a substitute for gravity, allowing objects to remain "grounded" on the inner surface of the structure.

3. What are the benefits of a rotating space station?

The main benefit of a rotating space station is that it can provide artificial gravity for long-term space missions. This allows astronauts to perform tasks and maintain their health in a more familiar environment, reducing the negative effects of zero gravity on the human body.

4. What are some challenges in building a rotating space station?

One of the major challenges in building a rotating space station is creating a structure that is strong enough to withstand the centrifugal forces and maintain its shape. Another challenge is designing a system for regulating the rotation speed and providing necessary resources, such as air and water, for the astronauts inside.

5. Are there any existing rotating space stations?

Currently, there are no fully functioning rotating space stations in existence. However, there have been several proposals and prototypes built for future projects, such as the Nautilus-X and the Mars Gravity Biosatellite. The International Space Station also has a small centrifuge module for conducting experiments on the effects of gravity on plants and animals.