1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating spring

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A relaxed spring is sitting on a horizontal surface. A block attached at one of its ends is kicked, with a horizontal velocity, v1, given to it. The block will move and stretch. Find the distance, x, the spring will stretch. See figure. Find x in meters.

http://i.imgur.com/tYyl3t4.png

2. Relevant equations
    F=-kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the equation ω=v/r to find the angular velocity = 1 rad/sec. I then thought that the angular velocity produces a centripetal force, which is the driving force for the spring to stretch. This centripetal force can be found using a=(ω^2)*r which = 1 m/s^2. I however, do not know how to use this force to find how far a spring would stretch when said force is applied. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2
    You forgot the figure?

4. Dec 4, 2013 #3
    Fixed it, there's a link in the OP.

5. Dec 4, 2013 #4
    That angular speed is for un-stretched spring, right?
    The centripetal force is the elastic force of the spring. And this happens when the spring is stretched. So you have to write the angular frequency for stretched spring (r>lo).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted