How can the Euler formula be used to derive the properties of rotating vectors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of basic equations for sines and cosines in general, using the Euler formula. The error in one of the expressions is also addressed, and it is noted that it can be quickly derived using the formula. The person asking the question is curious about how the equations are proven.
Fjolvar
I copied a diagram from my book of rotating vectors, and I just want to know how they got the following:

A cos(theta-phi) = A(cos(theta)cos(phi)+sin(theta)sin(phi))

and

A sin(theta-phi) = A(sin(theta)cos(phi)-cos(theta)sin(phi))

Which properties were used?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Rotating Vectors.pdf
    498.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
These are basic equations, that hold for sines and cosines in general, which are taught in any trigonometry course.

Note: there is an error in your cosine expression. One of the - signs should be +. You have to change one sign, but not both.

mathman said:
These are basic equations, that hold for sines and cosines in general, which are taught in any trigonometry course.

Note: there is an error in your cosine expression. One of the - signs should be +. You have to change one sign, but not both.

Thanks, I meant to write a + sign. So I guess I'll just understand this as an identity. I'm still curious how it's proven.

Last edited:
If you are familiar with the Euler formula [eix = cosx + isinx] you can derive it very quickly using x = a + b.

1. What is a rotating vector?

A rotating vector is a mathematical concept that represents a vector that is constantly changing direction, usually in a circular or curving motion.

2. How do you calculate the direction of a rotating vector?

The direction of a rotating vector can be calculated using trigonometry. The angle of rotation can be found by dividing the distance traveled by the radius of the circle or curve.

3. What is the difference between a rotating vector and a stationary vector?

A rotating vector changes direction over time, while a stationary vector always points in the same direction. Additionally, a rotating vector has both magnitude and direction, while a stationary vector only has magnitude.

4. Why are rotating vectors important in physics?

Rotating vectors are important in physics because they are used to describe the motion of objects in circular or curving paths. They are also essential in understanding concepts such as angular velocity and acceleration.

5. How are rotating vectors used in real-world applications?

Rotating vectors have many practical applications, such as in navigation systems, robotics, and mechanics. They are also used in fields such as computer graphics and animation to create realistic movements.