Rotating wave approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of a rotating frame in the evolution of density matrix for a two-level system. The result in the rotating frame is obtained by factoring out e^{i\omega_r t}, giving a simplified equation. However, there are still extra terms left and the correct result is not obtained. The text also discusses the use of a rotating frame and the removal of a global complex phase in the RWA.
KFC
In a text, it introduces an rotating frame and applies it on evolution of density matrix of two-level system. In the original frame, the first diagonal element of the time-derivitative of density matrix gives

[tex]\frac{d\rho_{11}}{dt} = i e^{i\omega_r t} K \rho_{21} - i e^{-i\omega_r t} K^*
\rho_{12}^*[/tex]

In rotating frame of freq [tex]\omega_r[/tex], it gives

[tex]\frac{d\rho_{11}}{dt} = i K \rho_{21} - i K^* \rho_{12}^*[/tex]

I don't really understand how to get above result. In my opinion, I will factor out [tex]e^{i\omega_r t}[/tex] such that

[tex]\frac{d\rho_{11}}{dt} = i e^{i\omega_r t}\left[ K \rho_{21} - e^{-i2\omega_r t} K^* \rho_{12}^*\right][/tex]

and now in the rotating frame, it gives
[tex]\frac{d\rho_{11}}{dt} = i \left[ K \rho_{21} - e^{-i2\omega_r t} K^* \rho_{12}^*\right][/tex]

But there are some extra term [tex]e^{-i2\omega_r t}[/tex] left, I know this is not the correct result but how to get the correct one?

By the way, in the text, seems like it only consider the off-diagonal density matrix element is of the form [tex]e^{i\omega_r t}\rho_{12}[/tex] or [tex]e^{-i\omega_r t}\rho_{21}[/tex] but let all diagonal term unchanged (i.e. no [tex]e^{\pmi\omega_r t}[/tex]), why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step in the RWA is to go to the rotating reference frame, which is a unitary transform. This is not the same a removing a global complex phase.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1301.3585

1. What is the Rotating Wave Approximation?

The Rotating Wave Approximation (RWA) is a mathematical method used in quantum mechanics to simplify the equations of motion for a system. It involves ignoring fast oscillating terms in the equations, which are often negligible and do not affect the overall behavior of the system.

2. When is the Rotating Wave Approximation applicable?

The RWA is applicable when the system under consideration has a dominant frequency or energy scale, and the other terms in the equations are relatively smaller. This is often the case in quantum systems with a large energy gap between two states, where the transitions between them occur at a much slower rate.

3. How does the Rotating Wave Approximation simplify calculations?

By neglecting the fast oscillating terms, the equations of motion become simpler and easier to solve. This allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of the system's behavior. It also helps to reduce the computational complexity of the problem, making it easier to handle with existing tools and techniques.

4. What are the limitations of the Rotating Wave Approximation?

The RWA is not always applicable and can lead to inaccurate results if used inappropriately. It is only valid when the terms being neglected are much smaller than the dominant terms and when the system is not subject to strong external forces or interactions. In some cases, the RWA may also miss important physical phenomena, leading to an incomplete understanding of the system.

5. How is the Rotating Wave Approximation used in practical applications?

The RWA is commonly used in quantum optics, where it is used to analyze the behavior of light-matter interactions. It is also frequently used in the study of atomic and molecular systems, as well as in quantum information processing. In these applications, the RWA allows for a more intuitive and simplified understanding of complex quantum phenomena.