1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating wheel question

1. Oct 17, 2004 #1
    Can anyone help me in solving this question?

At t=0, a wheel is rotating about a fixed axis at a constant angular acceleration has an angular velocity of 2 rad/s. Two seconds later it has turned 5 complete revolutions what is the angular acceleration of this wheel??
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question says that the angular acceleration is constant, so why would it have changed two seconds later? Are you sure you were not asked to solve for the angular velocity?
  4. Oct 17, 2004 #3
    I typed the question just as it was written. I am having trouble finding the formula for the solution, maybe it is written wrong??
  5. Oct 17, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would say that the first step is to write the angular velocity of the wheel as a function of time. Have you tried to do this at all?
  6. Oct 18, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem didn't say the angular acceleration had changed. It gave the initial angular velocity and the total angle moved in 2 seconds and asked you to calculate the constant angular acceleration.

mickeychief: this is just like straight line acceleration except that you use angles instead of length:
    If the accelaration is a, then the velocity after t is at+ v0,where v0 is the initial velocity, and the "distance" moved is (1/2)at2+ v0t. Since you are told that v0= 2 rad/sec and that, with t= 0, the angle ("distance") moved was
    "5 complete revolutions"= 5(2pi)= 10pi radians, you have
    (1/2)a(4)+ 2(2)= 10pi. Solve for a.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?