Angular Motion: Solving for Velocity & Acceleration

In summary: Hi Kevin1199959! :smile:The "resultant acceleration" is the vector sum of the tangential acceleration and the centripetal acceleration.
Kevin1199959

Homework Statement

A wheel 1m in diameter is rotating on a horizontal plane in the clockwise direction with an angular speed of 115 rpm. It's angular acceleration is 18 rad/s2

A) What is the angular velocity (magnitude and direction) after 6 seconds
B) What is the tangential velocity of a point on the rim of the wheel at 6 seconds
C) What is the resultant acceleration of a point on the rim at 6 seconds

Homework Equations

2pie ; 1 rev

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to find the answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kevin1199959! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)

You can use the same constant acceleration equations as for linear motion.

And linear displacement speed and acceleration are r times the angular version. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Kevin1199959! :smile:

(have a pi: :wink:)

You can use the same constant acceleration equations as for linear motion.

And linear displacement speed and acceleration are r times the angular version. :smile:

Lol, thanks again :P Btw, where do you get the signs from? So that you won't have to give them to me every time...

Soo;
A) 18*6/2π+115 = 117.86 rpm? But it sais magnitude and direction... do i actually have to give a direction?

B) r*117.86= 117.86 revolutions = tangential velocity?

C) ?!?

Please elaborate... I'm really lost!

The angular velocity is a vector* that is perpendicular to the direction of rotation (see the first image on Wikipedia's article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_velocity)

You can use a sort of right hand rule to find the direction; curl your hand in the direction of rotation and then the vector points along your thumb. *technically a pseudovector, but let's forget about that...

jhae2.718 said:
The angular velocity is a vector* that is perpendicular to the direction of rotation (see the first image on Wikipedia's article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_velocity)

You can use a sort of right hand rule to find the direction; curl your hand in the direction of rotation and then the vector points along your thumb.

*technically a pseudovector, but let's forget about that...

I'm still lost... can you please explain what i have to do?! Can you give me an example of an answer at least?

Hi Kevin1199959!

(just got up :zzz: …)
Kevin1199959 said:
A) 18*6/2π+115 = 117.86 rpm? But it sais magnitude and direction... do i actually have to give a direction?

How did you get 117.86? :confused: (and you only need 3 significant figures anyway)

The way I remember the direction is that anti-clockwise is positive, so the angular velocity is up for anti-clockwise, and down for clockwise.
B) r*117.86= 117.86 revolutions = tangential velocity?

Ah, perhaps I should have specified …
And linear displacement speed and acceleration are r times the angular version, measured in radians. :wink:
C) ?!?

The "resultant acceleration" is the vector sum of the tangential acceleration and the centripetal acceleration
Btw, where do you get the signs from? So that you won't have to give them to me every time...

On a Mac :approve:, you just type them! :tongue2: … for example, µ is alt-m.

On a PC :frown:, the only thing you can do is to copy them into a text document for future pasting. :smile:

1. What is angular motion?

Angular motion, also known as rotational motion, is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. This type of motion is characterized by the object's angular velocity and angular acceleration.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians) by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

3. What is the relationship between angular and linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the equation v = rω, where v is the linear velocity, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular velocity. This means that for a given angular velocity, the linear velocity will increase as the radius of the circular path increases.

4. How do you solve for angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol α (alpha) and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²). The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ω₂ - ω₁) / t, where ω₂ is the final angular velocity, ω₁ is the initial angular velocity, and t is the change in time.

5. What is the difference between tangential and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration refers to the change in linear velocity of an object moving in a circular path, while centripetal acceleration refers to the acceleration towards the center of the circular path. Tangential acceleration is caused by changes in angular velocity, while centripetal acceleration is caused by the centripetal force keeping the object in its circular path.