1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation about a fixed axis

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1
    I am having a very hard time with this problem! Even my teacher had trouble with it(of course we are still expected to have it done on our homework!)

2 doors are uniform and identical. Door A rotates about an axis to its left edge and door B rotates about an axis through the center. The same force F is applied perpendicular to each door at its right edge and the force remains perpendicular to as the door turns. Starting from rest, door A rotates through a certain angle in 3.00s. How long does it take door B to rotate through the same angle.

So I got as far as 1/3ML^2(alpha)=1/12M(L/2)^2(alpha) and then I get stuck on how o make time fit in. I have been looking at all the equations for rotational motion, but I don't know which one????

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Use [itex]\tau = I \alpha[/itex] to find the [itex]\alpha[/itex] for each case. Then apply the kinematic equation that gives [itex]\theta[/itex] as a function of time.

4. Nov 16, 2004 #3
    This is what I am coming up with:
    1/3ML^2(2[itex]\theta[/itex]/t^2)= 1/12ML/2^2(2[itex]\theta[/itex]/t^2)

ML^2 cancel out and so does the 2[itex]\theta[/itex]
    and I am left with (1/3)(1/t^2)=(1/12)(1/4)(1/t^2)

Is that right? Where do I go from there?

5. Nov 16, 2004 #4

Doc Al

The torque is different in each case.

6. Nov 16, 2004 #5
    But the same force is applied to each door in the same spot?? If the torque is different then I am not sure what to do b/c the only known value is time.

7. Nov 16, 2004 #6

krab

Science Advisor

A: torque is FL
    B: torque is FL/2

8. Nov 16, 2004 #7
    That is what I had, but can't I set them equal to each other?

9. Nov 16, 2004 #8

Doc Al

No, since they are not equal! You can easily relate them though.

10. Nov 16, 2004 #9
    You should use the information given to find out the angle for door A. Treat door A and B as separate cases, door A is there just to tell you the angle. Then you find out the [tex]\alpha[/tex] from the [tex]\tau and I[/tex] that you already have. If you can find out the angle of door A, then you shouldn't have problem working out time for door B because it's sort of working backward with the method you used for A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?