1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation about a fixed axis

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    Hi guys I was trying not to post this as it is difficult to understand without the diagram, but I will try and give you a visual. Basically there are 2 pulleys attached together on the one pivot, the larger one is driven by a belt that is driven by a motor. The inner pulley is used to hoist the weight.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Figure 3 shows a block A attached to a hoisting mechanism which consists of two
    drums of radii r1 = 0:4 m, r2 = 0:8 m, ¯xed at O and which have a combined mass
    of m1 = 100 kg and a radius of gyration about O of kO = 0:5 m. If a constant force
    P = 1:5 kN is applied by the power unit, which consists of a pulley of radius r3
    attached to a motor, determine the vertical acceleration of block A. The cord from
    the motor to the drum is at an angle 40± to the horizontal. Block A has a mass
    m2 = 300kg.

2. Relevant equations
    I = mk2

+CCW [itex]\Sigma[/itex]Mo = Io[itex]\alpha[/itex]

+[itex]\uparrow[/itex][itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy = m(ag)x

+CCW a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]r

a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I = 100kg * (0.5m)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 25kg.m2

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Mo
    T(0.4m) = (25 kg.m2[itex]\alpha[/itex]

+[itex]\uparrow[/itex][itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy = m(ag)x
    -300(9.81)N + 1500sin40N + T = - 300a

a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]0.4

I worked out [itex]\alpha[/itex] to be 5.56, or 24. something. Basically after 20 odd hours, I have given up, there is something clearly very wrong and missing, and between me and 2 other people we don't know where to go from here.

The answers are as follows
    [[itex]\alpha[/itex] = 0:312 rads/s2CW, T = 2980:5 N, a = 0:125 m/s2.]

Please help.

Kind Regards

Rob K
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2
    Can anyone help with this?

Do I need to provide some more information?

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try to attach a picture. And explain your notations. What do you mean by ":"? Is it for decimal point?

ehild

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook