Rotation about a free axis

• Thread starter schaafde
  • Start date
Let's say I have a uniform rod lying on a table in a frictionless environment. Now I throw a ball with a certain velocity at one end of the bat. How can I describe the motion of that bat. I need to make it seem like it is going in a circle. I know it will move back and rotate but I don't know exactly how. Any suggestions?

Answers and Replies

there should be rotational and translational motion.
rotational motion: Since the rod is uniform and force is only applied on one end of the rod, there will be a torque about the axis (geometrical center of rod)

translational motion: At the same time,the rod will also be moving straight in the direction of the force.

these 2 motions will occur at the same time. The center of mass of the rod will travel in a straight line parallel to the line of the force caused by the ball.or at least that's what i think it will happen =D

K^2
Science Advisor
You have made at least 4 threads about this. If you don't like the answers people give you, asking the question again won't help.

In this case, the rod will translate as well as rotate, the velocity of centre of mass will depend upon the mass and vel. of ball which can be calculated by conservation of linear momentum.The bat will rotate about its centre of mass with an angular velocity which can be determined by conserving angular momentum.