1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation and Gravitation

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    You have one screwdriver with a thick handle and one with a thin handle. Which one would be better for opening a stubborn can of paint?

my answer: either screwdriver--they are the same

Which screwdriver would be better for turning a stubborn screw?

my answer: the thick handled screw driver

What force keeps the moon in orbit around the earth?
    Choices: a.)centripetal force b.)gravitational force. c)both a and b
    my answer: c) both a and b

You turn a corner in your car and slide to the outside edge of the seat. Why does this happen?
    my answer: centrifugal force pulls you to the outside.

can someone explain the difference between centripetal and centrifugal forces please?

thank you,

EDIT: one mor question

a coin stays on a turntable because of friction. Part of the friction causes cicular motion. Which direction does the friction point?
    Choices: a) foward along the coin's path. b)towards the center of the turntable. c)away from the center of the turntable. d)backward along hte coin's path

my answer:..im not quite sure..could someone explain this to me
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since gravity provides the centripetal acceleration, there is only one force. Gravity. a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?