Rotation and power problem, help

In summary, a bucket weighing 15 kg is being lifted from a well at a constant speed of 0.2 m/s. The winch used has a radius of 0.03m and is turned with a handle of length 0.4m. The necessary power to bring the bucket up is 29.4 W and the necessary force, assuming it is perpendicular to the handle, is 11 N. The original poster has been having trouble with their calculations, specifically with finding the magnitude of the force, and has asked for help on the forum. They have since solved part a, but are still struggling with part b and have been advised to show their calculations for assistance.
Cyannaca
Hello, I would like it if anyone could help me with this problem

A bucket of 15 kg is lifted up from a well at a constant speed of 0,2 m/s. The cord rolls up around a winch (radius 0,03m). The winch is turned with a handle 0,4m of length
a) What power is necessary bring the bucket up?
b) If the force applied is always perpendicular to the handle, what is the module of the necessary force?

The answers are 29,4 W and 11 N and I don't know what is wrong but I always get 11,26 W :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your calculations?

I finally solved a (afer half an hour!) but now I really don't know how to do b

"module" means the same as "magnitude".
Does that help?

Welcome to the forums, Cyannaca!

Can you please post your calculations, so we can help find your error? Forum rules, plus it makes it much easier for everyone.

Ok, so I need to use Torque= radius*F* Thank you!

1. What is the difference between rotation and power?

Rotation refers to the movement of an object around an axis, while power refers to the rate at which energy is transferred or work is done. In other words, rotation is the physical movement, while power is the measure of how quickly that movement is happening.

2. How can I calculate the rotational speed of an object?

The rotational speed of an object can be calculated by dividing the angle or distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is often measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or radians per second.

3. What is torque and how does it relate to rotation and power?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. Torque is directly related to both rotation and power, as it is necessary for an object to rotate and for power to be transferred.

4. Can rotation and power be converted into each other?

Rotation and power can be converted into each other, as they are both related to the transfer of energy. For example, a motor that rotates at a certain speed can be used to generate power, and a generator can convert mechanical rotation into electrical power.

5. How are rotation and power used in real-life applications?

Rotation and power are used in a wide variety of real-life applications, from simple machines like bicycles and car engines, to more complex systems like turbines and motors in power plants. They are also important in sports, such as the rotation of a baseball pitch or the power of a tennis serve.