Rotation : angular velocity from body frame

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of an angular velocity vector 'w' from the space frame to the body frame using a rotation matrix. The issue arises when the same 'w' is obtained in the body frame, which is expected to be zero since the body is rotating with the body frame. The problem is attributed to the artificial construction of 'w' and the use of its direction to determine the rotation matrix.
venkat
consider a body rotating with a constant angular velocity 'w' along the z axis of the space reference frame.the centre of mass of the body is at the origin of the space system of coordinates.

now since 'w' is a vector, it must transorm according to the rotation matrix
R (in this case as given below), when we pass from the space frame to the body frame (rigidly fixed on the body and with its z' axis along the z axis of the space frame).

R = | cos(wt) Sin(wt) 0 |
| -Sin(wt) Cos(wt) 0 |
| 0 0 1 |

here i have used (wt) in the place of the angular separation (theta) between the two reference frames, as the angular separation increases linearly with time.

pardon me for using the symbol '|' for denoting the matrix.i have used this symbol because i couldn't find anything better on the keyboard.
even though it looks like a determinant, i mean a matrix.

when we use this matrix for transforming from the space frame to the body frame, we get the angular velocity as 'w' in the body frame also !
but,in the body frame, shouldn't the angular velocity be zero ?
(since the body frame is rotating with the body)

what is wrong? is the rotation matrix wrong, or can't the angular velocity be transformed according to the rotation matrix when we pass from space frame to body frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry about the notation for the rotation matrix

it should be

R = | cos(wt) Sin(wt) 0 |
| -Sin(wt) Cos(wt) 0 |
| 0 0 1 |

WHAT I MEAN IS THIS:

R11= Cos(wt)
R12= Sin(wt)
R13= 0
R21= -Sin(wt)
R22= Cos(wt)
R23= 0
R31 = 0
R32 = 0
R33 = 1

Read this thread. For some formating hints.

"when we use this matrix for transforming from the space frame to the body frame, we get the angular velocity as 'w' in the body frame also !
but,in the body frame, shouldn't the angular velocity be zero ?
(since the body frame is rotating with the body)"

The angular velocity of what? The matrix for "transforming from the space frame to the body frame" is the inverse of the rotation matrix itself- the same rotation matrix but with negative angle. The angular velocity of "space" relative to the body is -w.

you said :

the angular velocity of what?

i mean the angular velocity of the body.

also, shouldn't the angular velocity of the body be zero in the body frame?

since the transformation matrix R is orthogonal, you get the angular velocity as 'w' in the body frame also, since R' = [tex] R^-1[/tex]

since the transformation matrix R is orthogonal, you get the angular velocity as 'w' in the body frame also, since R' = R inverse

can somebody help me? i have no one to discuss things with as i am studying physics on my own...that's why i put up the question here.

Late replay because I joiuned Physics Forum a few days ago.

Why should "W" change? It is the rotation vector computed in the fixed frame. If you want the rotation vector in the rotating frame, just compute it in the rotating frame and you'll get 0 as expected.

i don't get 'w' as expected..try it!

venkat,
ω is not a true vector, it is a pseudo vector. You can see problems arise in a very formal way, as you have indeed shown. Or, you can endeavor a more heuristic analysis, and realize that, what you are calling ω does not really exist, but, if it did, it would in fact be an EIGENVECTOR of your proposed transformation matrix. The eigenvalue is unity (as can clearly be seen), so there is no way for this matrix to transform this vector into anything else.

The problem is that, ω was constructed artificially in the first place, and then the issue is compounded by the fact that its direction is used to determine the proposed matrix. Off the top of my head, I would suggest treating the rotating body as a composite of points each with its own individual position and velocity vectors. These could all be resolved into an angular velocity (pseudo-)vector, but then you inherently lose some information. Again, this is a heuristic analysis, but it seems reasonable, since, by beginning with two vectors, x and v, and then declaring ω as the total character of the system, it seems that two vectors have been reduced to one. Further more, these two vectors, x and v, seemed to be independent of each other, that is, you are allowed to specify (kinematically) any v you like at any x. Of course, this specification will dictate strict requirements on the other points in the body (if it is rigid and fixed at the origin), but the fact still remains that a declaration of ω is a reduction of two independent vectors, v and x, into only one. Something is certainly missing.

1. What is rotation and angular velocity?

Rotation is the movement of an object around an axis or point. Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates, measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in the angle by the change in time. It is represented by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

3. What is the difference between body frame and world frame?

Body frame refers to the coordinate system of an object, where the object is at the origin and the axes are defined relative to the object's orientation. World frame, on the other hand, refers to the coordinate system of the world, where the origin and axes are fixed.

4. How does angular velocity relate to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the formula ω = v/r, where ω is angular velocity, v is linear velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of interest.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding angular velocity?

Understanding angular velocity is important in fields such as engineering, robotics, and astronomy. It is used to calculate the speed and motion of rotating objects, design efficient machines, and track the movements of celestial bodies.