Deriving Mass Distribution & Rotation Curve Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a rotation curve and its relationship to the mass distribution of an object. It also explores how to derive the expression for M(r) and the rotation curve function, as well as how the rotation curve may appear for a truncated mass distribution. The conversation also mentions the use of calculus to solve these problems.
b_o3
Hello everyone... can someone help me with this problem please:

The rotation curve V(r) for a mass distribution characterizes the rotational velocity of a test particle in orbit in its gravitational field as a function of radius from its center. Suppose you have a spherically symmetric mass distribution with the mass density p(r)=p0(r0/r)^3/2, where r0 and p0 are constants, derive the expression for M(r), the total mass interior to r. From this derive the rotation curve function. Suppose the mass distribution is trunctuated at some radius R0, what do you expect the rotation curve to look like (i.e as a function of r) at r>R0

any help would be appreciated, thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
We need to see some attempt at a solution. What is the mass of a sphere with radius r and density p ?

M= density*( (4/3)pi * r^3

If you put the density expression p(r) into your equation, you've nearly solved the first part.

oh thanks, so i got M(r)= p0(r0/r)^3/2*4/3pi*r^3... now I am supposed to derive the rotation curve function... isn't that just the circumference?

can u help me out with deriving the rotation curve function... from that formula

To get the required expression for M(r) you must now work out the mass of a thin shell of thickness dr, then integrate that expresion wrt to r from 0 to r.
You need calculus now.

so just replace the r with dr?

Try

mass of shell = M(r+dr)-M(r)

thanks... ...

should i integrate this formula or not

Yes, integrate it between 0 and r. This will give the final expression for M(r).

I have to go offline now, so it's over to you.

alryty.. thanks a lot :D

wait a minute...

can u PLZZZZ show me how to do the integration.. its just not working :S ... myt have something to do with my being up all nyt Oo

Go to bed.

no... :(?...

lol yea... i need this done today tho
seriously can't u just give me the integrated formula i can't get it :S (i dnt take calculus_)

COME On SAVE me ! I've just got this one problem left

1. What is mass distribution and rotation curve function?

Mass distribution refers to the distribution of matter in a given object or system, while rotation curve function describes how the rotational velocity of an object changes as a function of its distance from the center of rotation.

2. Why is it important to derive the mass distribution and rotation curve function?

Deriving the mass distribution and rotation curve function allows us to understand the underlying structure and dynamics of an object, such as a galaxy or a planet. This information can help us study the formation and evolution of these objects and gain insights into the laws of gravity.

3. How is the mass distribution and rotation curve function derived?

The mass distribution is typically derived using observations of the object's gravitational effects on surrounding matter, such as stars or gas clouds. The rotation curve function is derived by measuring the velocities of objects orbiting the central mass at various distances.

4. What factors can affect the mass distribution and rotation curve function?

The mass distribution and rotation curve function can be affected by the distribution and density of matter within the object, as well as the influence of external forces such as gravitational interactions with other objects.

5. What are some applications of studying mass distribution and rotation curve function?

Studying mass distribution and rotation curve function can help us understand the properties of different types of objects, such as galaxies, and how they are formed and evolve over time. This information can also be used to test and refine our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics.