1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation: disk and pulley

1. Nov 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A disk of mass M and radius R unwinds from a tape wrapped around it. The tape passes over a frictionless pulley and mass m is suspended from the other end. Assume that the disk drops vertically.

a. relate the accelerations of mass m and disk ,a and A, respectively to the angular acceleration of the disk.

b. Find a, A and α.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

equations of motion : T - mg = ma
    T - Mg = MA

-TR = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]MR[itex]^{2}[/itex]α

Are these equations of motion wrong????

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Which direction are you taking as positive, up or down? If up, I would write that as ma = T + mg etc., where g takes a negative value. But it's maybe a matter of personal preference.
    They look ok to me, but you've not written out the relationships between A, a, α and R. That is where this question fools some people.

4. Nov 24, 2013 #3
    I took up as the positive direction. But I think T and g are always opposing each other. I have written a constraint equation A + a = Rα. But the clue given in the book is " if A= 2a then α= 3A/R"

5. Nov 24, 2013 #4
    That's a typo in the book. There was a thread on the same problem recently.

6. Nov 24, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The consensus is that it's an error in the book. It should say α= 3a/R. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=722327

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted