How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Rod's Tip in Rotational Motion?

• Thread starter apoptosis
  • Start date
Your Name]In summary, the conversation was about deriving an equation for the rotation of a rod with an added mass. The equation for the speed of the tip of the rod when it is at a vertical position is vt = \sqrt{3gL}\sqrt{\frac{1+4(d/L)}{1+6(d/L)^{2}}}. This was solved by considering the conservation of energy and using relevant equations such as Ef=0.5Iw^2+Mgd and vt=wL.
apoptosis
Hi! I have a problem here that i got on a practice worksheet. It's all about deriving an equation for the rotation of a rod! :S

Homework Statement

A thin uniform rod that is L long and M in mass pivots about one end (the rod is hanging from a pivot attached to the ceiling). Suppose a small mass of 2M is attached some distance from the pivot and released horizontally from rest, and allowed to swing downward without any resistance of any kind. What is the equation to determine the speed of its tip when the rod is at vertical position?

The answer given is: vt=[tex]\sqrt{3gL}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{1+4(d/L)}{1+6(d/L)^{2}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Ei=Ef
Ei=0.5Iw[tex]^{2}[/tex]+MgL

Ef=0.5Iw[tex]^{2}[/tex]+Mg(d/L)

I (for rod rotating by one end)= (1/3)ML[tex]^{2}[/tex]

vt=wL

I'm using 'w' as omega because I can't get it to stop looking like an exponent for some reason when using latext.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do the question when the center of mass is directly (L/2) for the rod, in which case using the equations above gives me a speed equation of [tex]\sqrt{3gL}[/tex]. But I'm completely thrown off by the addition of mass as that changes the centre of mass (I'm not sure what to do with that). My attempt so far is starting off with relevant equations.

I really appreciate any pointers to help me out! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out with your question. I understand that you are having trouble deriving an equation for the rotation of a rod with an added mass. Let's break down the problem and see if we can find a solution together.

First, let's define some variables:
- L: length of the rod
- M: mass of the rod
- m: added mass
- d: distance of added mass from pivot
- vt: speed of the tip of the rod when it is at a vertical position
- w: angular velocity of the rod

Next, let's look at the initial and final energies. Since the rod is released from rest, the initial energy is 0. The final energy can be calculated using the equation Ef=0.5Iw^2+Mgd, where I is the moment of inertia for a rod rotating by one end, which you have correctly identified as (1/3)ML^2.

Now, we need to consider the conservation of energy. This means that the initial energy must equal the final energy. Therefore, we can set up the equation:
0 = 0.5(1/3)ML^2w^2 + Mg(d+L/2) - (1/3)ML^2w^2 - Mgd

Simplifying this equation, we get:
0 = (1/6)ML^2w^2 + Mg(d+L/2) - Mgd

Next, we can use the equation vt= wL to solve for w:
w = vt/L

Substituting this into our previous equation, we get:
0 = (1/6)ML^2(vt/L)^2 + Mg(d+L/2) - Mgd

Simplifying again, we get:
0 = (1/6)Mvt^2 + Mg(d+L/2) - Mgd

Finally, we can solve for vt:
vt = \sqrt{3gL}\sqrt{\frac{1+4(d/L)}{1+6(d/L)^{2}}}

And there we have it, the equation for the speed of the tip of the rod when it is at a vertical position. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions. Keep up the good work with your practice worksheets!

Hi there! It seems like you're working on a rotational motion problem involving a rod with a pivot point and a small mass attached to it. This type of problem can be solved using the principles of conservation of energy and the moment of inertia for a rod rotating about one end.

To start, let's define some variables:
L = length of the rod
M = mass of the rod
d = distance of the attached mass from the pivot point
m = mass of the attached mass
vt = speed of the tip of the rod when it is at a vertical position

First, we can use the principle of conservation of energy to find the speed of the tip of the rod at any point during its rotation. At the initial position, the total energy (Ei) is equal to the potential energy due to gravity (MgL) since the rod is at rest. At the vertical position, the total energy (Ef) is equal to the sum of the kinetic energy of the rod (0.5Iw^2) and the potential energy of the attached mass (mgd).

Ei = Ef
MgL = 0.5Iw^2 + mgd

Next, we can substitute in the moment of inertia for a rod rotating about one end (1/3*ML^2) and the relationship between angular velocity (w) and tangential velocity (vt = wL) to get:

MgL = 0.5(1/3*ML^2)(vt/L)^2 + mgd

Simplifying this equation gives us:

vt = sqrt(3gL(1+4d/L)/(1+6d/L^2))

This is the same equation given in the answer, just with the addition of the mass (m) factored in. I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your practice worksheet!

1. What is the Rotation-Equation Problem?

The Rotation-Equation Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the rotation of a given object in three-dimensional space. It is often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. What does the solution to the Rotation-Equation Problem represent?

The solution to the Rotation-Equation Problem represents the amount and direction of rotation needed to transform one object into another. It can be represented by a rotation matrix or a set of Euler angles.

3. What are some common applications of the Rotation-Equation Problem?

The Rotation-Equation Problem has various applications, including determining the orientation of a spacecraft, calculating the movement of a robotic arm, and creating realistic animations in video games and movies.

4. How is the Rotation-Equation Problem solved?

The Rotation-Equation Problem can be solved using various methods, such as geometric constructions, trigonometric formulas, and rotation matrices. Different techniques may be more suitable for different situations and may require different levels of mathematical knowledge.

5. What are some challenges associated with solving the Rotation-Equation Problem?

The Rotation-Equation Problem can be challenging due to its complexity and the multiple ways it can be approached. Additionally, numerical errors and singularities may arise when solving the problem, requiring careful consideration and adjustments in the solution process.