1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation help

1. Mar 25, 2004 #1
    A bicycle has wheels of 1.2m diameter. the bicyclist accelerates from rest with constant acceleration to 24km/h in 14.0s. What is the angular acceleration of the wheels?

If the bicycle is going forwards relative to the ground with a speed of 24km/h, then, all points on the tread are moving around the wheel with a speed (s) of 24km/h relative to the axel.

s = 24km/h = 6.7m/s (I know the significant figures rules but I dont know where to round)
    r = 1.2m/2 = 0.6m

w=6.7/0.6 = 11.2 rad/s ( is my rounding correct here?)

a=v^2/r=(6.7)^2/0.6= 74.8m/s^2

Is the reasoning correct?

Thank you for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2004 #2
    A number in the problem has three digits (12.0), so that is what your answer should have at most, also.

The number 6.7/0.6 ought to have just 2 figures, but since the first number really should have 3 figures in the first place, and the second number is accurate to 3 figures, . . .

Tangential acceleration = angular acceleration * radius
    is another formula you could use to check your work, which I only eyeballed. Looks OK to me.
  4. Mar 25, 2004 #3

Science Advisor

This is corect

This is correct

The question asks for angular acceleration.

a = (delta w)/t
    a = (11.2)/(14)
    a = 0.8 rad/s^2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?