Solving 3D Rotation Matrices: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, a 3D rotation matrix is a mathematical representation of a rotation in three-dimensional space that is important in various applications such as 3D graphics, computer vision, and robotics. To create one, you need to know the angle and axis of rotation and can use a formula or a software to generate it. To apply a 3D rotation matrix to an object, you multiply the object's original coordinates by the matrix. It is also possible to use a 3D rotation matrix to rotate an object around an arbitrary point, but it is important to watch out for pitfalls such as gimbal lock and using the correct order of rotations.
likephysics
I am having a hard time figuring out 3d rotation matrices expression.
After much search, I got 2D - http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/modeling/mod_tran/2drota.htm
With 2d,
x'=xcos t - ysin t
y'=xsin t + ycos t

and the matrix is :
[cos t -sin t]
[sin t cos t]

but where can I find a similar explanation for 3d? Can someone pls explain.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What is a 3D rotation matrix and why is it important?

A 3D rotation matrix is a mathematical representation of a rotation in three-dimensional space. It is important because it allows us to easily manipulate and understand the rotation of objects in 3D graphics, computer vision, and robotics applications.

2. How do I create a 3D rotation matrix?

To create a 3D rotation matrix, you will need to know the angle of rotation and the axis of rotation. Then, you can use the appropriate rotation matrix formula for the desired rotation (e.g. x-axis, y-axis, z-axis). Alternatively, you can use a rotation matrix calculator or a 3D graphics software to generate the matrix for you.

3. How do I apply a 3D rotation matrix to an object?

To apply a 3D rotation matrix to an object, you will need to multiply the object's original coordinates by the rotation matrix. This will result in a new set of coordinates that represent the object's rotated position in 3D space. You can then use these coordinates to update the object's position or orientation in your graphics or robotics software.

4. Can I use a 3D rotation matrix to rotate an object around an arbitrary point?

Yes, you can use a 3D rotation matrix to rotate an object around an arbitrary point by first translating the object's coordinates to the origin, applying the rotation matrix, and then translating the coordinates back to the original position. This is known as the rotation about an arbitrary point technique.

5. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for when using 3D rotation matrices?

One potential pitfall to watch out for when using 3D rotation matrices is the issue of gimbal lock. This occurs when one of the rotation axes is aligned with another axis, causing a loss of one degree of freedom. To avoid this, it is recommended to use quaternions or other rotation representations that do not suffer from gimbal lock. Additionally, make sure to use the correct order of rotations when multiplying multiple rotation matrices to avoid unexpected results.