Rotation Matrix for Vector v=(a,b,c) by Angle θ | Efficient Computation Method

He can find an orthonormal basis of the plane perpendicular to v, but he is looking for a faster and more clever way to compute the matrix. One suggestion is to use Rodrigues' rotation formula, but the most obvious approach is to use the orthonormal basis as a map to conjugate the rotation about the z axis back to the desired axis. A helpful post is provided as a reference. In summary, Jason is seeking a method to efficiently calculate a rotation matrix around a given vector and there are a few potential approaches, including using an orthonormal basis and Rodrigues' rotation formula.
Silviu
Hello! I need to find the rotation matrix around a given vector v=(a,b,c), by and angle ##\theta##. I can find an orthonormal basis of the plane perpendicular to v but how can I compute the matrix from this? I think I can do it by brute force, rewriting the orthonormal basis rotated by ##\theta## and doing some matrix multiplications, but is there a more clever and fast way to do it?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is any simpler method than "brute force".

You might want to research Rodrigues' rotation formula.

I guess this is what you are saying but the obviopus way to prceed seems to me to use the basis you have as a map sending the usual orthonormal basis to the new one, and use that map and its inverse to conjugate the (easily written) rotation about the z axis back to your axis.

1. What is a rotation matrix in 3x3?

A rotation matrix in 3x3 is a mathematical representation of a transformation that rotates a point or object in three-dimensional space around an axis.

2. How is a rotation matrix in 3x3 different from a 2D rotation matrix?

A 3x3 rotation matrix operates in three dimensions, while a 2D rotation matrix operates in two dimensions. This means that a 3x3 rotation matrix can represent rotations in all three axes (x, y, and z), while a 2D rotation matrix can only represent rotations in one axis (usually the z-axis).

3. What does a rotation matrix in 3x3 look like?

A rotation matrix in 3x3 is a square matrix with three rows and three columns. The elements of the matrix represent the cosine and sine values of the rotation angles around each axis.

4. How do I use a rotation matrix in 3x3 to rotate a point or object?

To rotate a point or object using a rotation matrix in 3x3, you would multiply the coordinates of the point or object by the rotation matrix. The resulting coordinates will represent the new position of the point or object after the rotation.

5. What is the importance of rotation matrices in 3x3 in scientific applications?

Rotation matrices in 3x3 are important for many scientific applications, including computer graphics, robotics, and physics. They allow us to accurately represent and manipulate rotations in three-dimensional space, which is crucial for understanding and analyzing complex systems and phenomena.