1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation Matrix

1. Sep 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find a 3x3 rotation matrix that takes a point in regular cartesian space and gives its coordinates in a rotate x`y`z` space. The +z` axis runs along the vector [1,1,-1], and the +x` axis should be in the xz plane with positive x component.

2. Relevant equations

The rotation matrix can be found by taking the unit basis vectors of x'y'z' space and putting them side by side to form a 3x3 matrix.

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I found the unit basis vector of z', which is [1/sqrt(3), 1/sqrt(3), -1/sqrt(3)]. Now I know that since x' has a basis vector in the xz plane, it has y component 0. setting x` (dot) z` = 0 gives that x` must have unit basis vector [1/sqrt(2), 0, 1/sqrt(2)]. Now I can find y' by doing z` (cross) x`, which gives the unit basis vector for y` to be: [1/sqrt(6), -2/sqrt(6), -1/sqrt(6)].

Now when I put these into matrix form, I get:

[{1/Sqrt[2], 1/Sqrt[6], 1/Sqrt[3]}, {0, -2/Sqrt[6],
    1/Sqrt[3]}, {1/Sqrt[2], -1/Sqrt[6], -1/Sqrt[3]}]

However, if I take this times a vector such as [1, 1, -1] (which should come out to [0, 0, sqrt(3)] in the primed axes), I don't get the correct answer. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Ugh, sorry. I figured it out. These completely obvious things sometimes slip past me when I'm really tired.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?