Solving a Rotation Mechanics Problem: Option D vs Attempted Solution

• Thread starter thunderhadron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the speakers are discussing a physics problem and asking for help in solving it. They are trying to determine the total force felt by a rod at a certain point and are considering the contributions of tension from different parts of the rod. They also mention a related problem and thank their friends for their assistance in solving it.
thunderhadron
Hi friends,
Feeling pleasure to share some more aspects with you.
I am getting a doubts in some of the problems.
Thank you all in advance.

The problem is:
[Broken]

Attempt,

[Broken]

But the book says the answer is option (D).
Please friend help to get rid off.
Awaiting for reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the total force felt by the rod at x? Why?

voko said:
What is the total force felt by the rod at x? Why?

Sorry voko I don't get it. Please help me in solving.

I am getting the equation for the right side of 'x'.

At point x in the rod, there is some force of tension. You computed the force of inertia due to dx just next to x. But what about other parts of the rod? Which parts of the rod contribute to the tension at x: the parts further away from the axis of rotation, or closer to it?

voko said:
At point x in the rod, there is some force of tension. You computed the force of inertia due to dx just next to x. But what about other parts of the rod? Which parts of the rod contribute to the tension at x: the parts further away from the axis of rotation, or closer to it?

[Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine that the rod itself is massless. Now let there be some point mass attached to the rod that is closer to the axis of rotation than x. Will there be any tension at x? Then let there be a point mass further from the point of rotation than x. Will there be any tension at x?

voko said:
Imagine that the rod itself is massless. Now let there be some point mass attached to the rod that is closer to the axis of rotation than x. Will there be any tension at x? Then let there be a point mass further from the point of rotation than x. Will there be any tension at x?

Yes outer mass of the rod i.e. the right side part will apply tension on it.

OK let me try it first.

Thank you very much friends. I got the answer. Problem has been cleared.

What is rotation mechanics?

Rotation mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around a central axis. It involves the study of torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis. Linear motion is typically described using velocity and acceleration, while rotational motion is described using angular velocity and angular acceleration.

How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. It is represented by the equation T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the force, and r is the distance.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating at a constant rate. It is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. It is represented by the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

How do you solve a rotation mechanics problem?

To solve a rotation mechanics problem, you will typically need to use the equations for torque, angular momentum, and/or angular velocity. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the known and unknown variables, and use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown. It is also helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and make sure your calculations are correct.