Can someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of the tip of a blade 10 seconds after a ceiling fan, with 85cm diameter blades, is turned off. The solution requires converting the given 66 rpm to rad/sec, finding the angular acceleration using the equation \alpha=\frac{w_{2}-w_{1}}{\Delta t}, and using the equation v = r\omega to calculate the final speed. The mistake in the solution attempts involved a misplaced decimal point, resulting in an incorrect final answer.
tangibleLime
Rotation of a Fan - Unsolved

Homework Statement

A ceiling fan with 85cm diameter blades is turning at 66 rpm. Suppose the fan coasts to a stop 26 s after being turned off.

What is the speed of the tip of a blade 10 sec after the fan is turned off?

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha=\frac{w_{2}-w_{1}}{\Delta t}[/tex]
[tex]v=r\omega[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted 66 rpm to rad/sec, resulting in [tex]6.912[/tex] (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=66+rpm+to+rad/sec)

Then I found the angular acceleration using [tex]\alpha=\frac{w_{2}-w_{1}}{\Delta t}[/tex] as [tex]\alpha=\frac{0-6.912}{26}[/tex], which resulted in [tex]\alpha=-0.265846[/tex].

I then (this is where I think I have made a mistake) plugged this new alpha value back into that same equation to come up with this: [tex]-0.265846=\frac{w_{2}-6.912}{10}[/tex], since I figured I need [tex]\omega[/tex] to use in the [tex]v = r\omega[/tex] equation. That resulted in [tex]\omega=0.425[/tex]/

Now I used [tex]v = r\omega[/tex] as [tex]v = (.85)(0.425)[/tex], resulting in [tex]v = 0.36[/tex], which was determined to be incorrect. I'd start doing some trial and error, but the homework system cruelly deducts points for each incorrect answer.

I also tried the following, but it also failed. I used the equation of motion [tex]v=v_{0}+at[/tex] as [tex]\omega=r\omega_{0}+(\alpha * t)[/tex] with the values of [tex]\omega=0.36125 + (-0.265846)(10)[/tex], resulting in [tex]4.3[/tex]. This answer is incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you supposed to find? You didn't really state it.

My apologies, post edited.

Well your diameter is 85cm. So your radius wouldn't be 85cm now would ?

Well the question states that the blades are 85 cm in diameter, so the diameter of the entire fan, I'm assuming, would be [tex]f(x) = (85*2)+x[/tex] where [tex]x[/tex] is the width of the round base in the center from which the fan blades rotate.

Not sure where you got that formula from, but my line of thinking was that the distance from the center of rotation to the tip of a blade should be the radius of the fan.

Here, I'll draw a picture to explain my thoughts.

After drawing it, I should reformulate my previous equation to a simple [tex]d = r + r[/tex], where d is the diameter and r is the length of a blade.

[PLAIN]http://mikederoche.com/temp/fan.png

The center of rotation, of course, would be where the two blades meet in the center of that big black dot. Each blade is 83 cm, so the diameter of the entire fan would be 83+83=166. So the center of rotation would lie at (just undoing the previous equation...) 166/2 = 83 cm.

I also tried the following, but it also failed. I used the equation of motion [tex]v=v_{0}+at[/tex] as [tex]\omega=r\omega_{0}+(\alpha * t)[/tex] with the values of [tex]\omega=0.36125 + (-0.265846)(10)[/tex], resulting in [tex]4.3[/tex]. This answer is incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
If fan looks as you draw, they would speak about the "the length of the blades" That fan probably is made without that black dot, just screwing two or more blades together. The blades cover a circle when revolving, the diameter of the circle is 85 cm. Trust in rock.freak and try to use the half for r, and see if it is the correct result. Otherwise, everything else you did is fine.

ehild

Hm, well I did try what rock.freak suggested, but the answer was still marked incorrect.

[tex]v = (.85/2)(0.425) = 0.18[/tex].

Nevermind, I got it. Ended up being off by a power of 10... the answer was 1.8, not .18!

Thanks for your help, everyone.

1. What could be causing my confusion?

There could be multiple factors contributing to your confusion, such as lack of understanding of the subject matter, unclear instructions, or incorrect assumptions. It's important to identify the specific area or concept that you are struggling with and seek clarification.

2. Can you provide a step-by-step explanation of the process?

Yes, I can break down the process into smaller steps and explain each one in detail. It's important to understand each step and its purpose in order to successfully complete the task.

3. How can I improve my understanding?

One way to improve your understanding is to ask questions and seek clarification from others who are knowledgeable in the subject area. You can also do additional research and practice to reinforce your understanding.

4. What are common mistakes people make in this task?

Common mistakes can vary depending on the specific task, but some general mistakes may include not following instructions carefully, making incorrect assumptions, or not having a solid understanding of the underlying concepts. It's important to pay attention to details and seek help if needed.

5. Is there a better approach to solving this problem?

There may be multiple approaches to solving a problem, and what works for one person may not work for another. It's important to explore different strategies and find what works best for you. Additionally, seeking advice from others who have experience with the task can also provide valuable insights.