1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of a Rigid Body

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1

Hey guys, does anyone know how to approach these two problems .... can u please help me ?

Question 1. A magnetic computer disk 8.0 am in diameter is initially at rest. A small dot is painted on the edge of the disk. The disk accelerates at 600 rad/s2 for ½ s, then coasts at a steady angular velocity for another ½ s. What is the speed of the dot at t=1.0 s ? Through how many revolutions has it turned?

Question 2. A 300 g ball and a 600 g ball are connected by a 40-cm-long massless, rigid rod. The structure rotates about its center of mass at 100rpm. What is the rotational kinetic energy ?

I'll be really really thankful if you guys tell me how to approach these problems step by step.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF, ada15. First of all, do not double-post your questions. I deleted your duplicate thread in the Advanced Physics forum.

Second, you must show some of your own work in order to get our help. How would you start question -1- ?

4. Nov 2, 2006 #3

Doc Al

As berkeman says, you'll have to do some work on your own and show where you got stuck to get help. Here are some hints:

(1) Understand Rotational-Linear Parallels; this is a rotational kinematics problem.
    (2) What's the definition of rotational KE? What's the center of mass? What's the rotational inertia?

5. Dec 7, 2009 #4
    I have a similar problem to this. The numbers are slightly different, though.

A 260 g ball and a 510 g ball are connected by a 37.0-cm-long massless, rigid rod. The structure rotates about its center of mass at 140 rpm.

What is its rotational kinetic energy?

Well, I know I will need to find the center of mass first.

((.260kg)(0m) + (.510kg)(.37m))/(.26kg + .51kg) = .245 m

Knowing the center of mass, then I can find I

I= (m1)(r1^2)+(m2)(r2^2)
    I=(.269kg)(-.245^2)+(.510kg)((.37-.245)^2)= .024 kgm^2

Now, I am not sure where I need to go from here.

6. Dec 7, 2009 #5

Doc Al

What's the definition of rotational kinetic energy?

7. Dec 7, 2009 #6
    KE= (1/2)mv^2

8. Dec 7, 2009 #7

Doc Al

That's translational KE. What's the corresponding formula for rotational KE?

9. Dec 7, 2009 #8

berkeman

That's the kinetic energy for linear motion. What is it for rotational motion? Hint -- just as mass comes into play for linear KE, the "moment of inertia" comes into play for rotational KE...

10. Dec 7, 2009 #9
    Ooooooh. K=(1/2)Iw^2

w(omega) = 140rpm(1min/60sec)(2pi/rotation)=14.66 rad/s

Krot= (1/2)(.024kgm^2)(14.66 rad/s)^2 = 2.53 J

Thanks A LOT. This was the one problem out of my homework that was kicking my behind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?