1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of a wheel

1. Feb 15, 2007 #1
    Need some help with a problem here:

A hot splinter is dislodged from a spinning grinding wheel. Which of the paths drawn in figure best represent its subsequent motion, given that the axis of rotation is a) vertical b) horizontal ?

Heres is the picture for the q.:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what do you think? Please show your thoughts on the question.
  4. Feb 15, 2007 #3
    First, what do they mean with vertical/horizontal- axis?
  5. Feb 15, 2007 #4
    The axis of the wheel on the example is pointing "into" the picture. Am i right?
  6. Feb 16, 2007 #5
    could someone define horizontal/vertical-axis
  7. Feb 16, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'd imagine that if the axis of rotation is horizontal, then you can take the axis going into the diagram. If the axis of rotation is vertical, imagine the wheel spinning about a veritcal line drawn down the wheel through the centre.
  8. Feb 16, 2007 #7
    For part b) your drawing seems correct (as it will be rotating much like a wheel of a car, in ideal conditions)...so my suggestion is to draw the acceleration vectors for some point on the wheel and make my guess from their.

Remember there is a tangential and a centripital acceleration...what does this mean?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?