Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of an ellipse

1. Jan 13, 2016 #1
    Hello! Okay- This is a relatively simple problem, but for some reason I'm having huge difficulty with it.

So I have the equation of an ellipse, x^2-6sqrt3 * xy + 7y^2 =16, which I have converted into quadratic form to get (13, -3sqrt3, -sqrt3, 7) and I need to rotate it using the normal rotation matrix in two dimensions (cos, -sin, cos, sin)

But Im struggling to actually apply the rotation matrix- Do apply it to the quadratic form of the matrix? And if so how can I extract the equation of the rotated ellipse from this?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assume the equation of ellipse you have there to be written in the already rotated coordinate system ##(x',y')##, thus
    $$
    x'^2-6\sqrt{3} x'y' + 7y'^2 =16
    $$
    To obtain the expression of this same ellipse in the unrotated coordinate system, you have to apply the clockwise rotation matrix to the point ##(x',y')##. By the way the correct rotation matrix is
    $$
    \left( \begin{array}{cc}
    \cos \theta & \sin\theta \\
    -\sin\theta & \cos \theta \\
    \end{array} \right)
    $$
    where ##\theta## is positive for counterclockwise rotation.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  4. Jan 13, 2016 #3

Okay, so do I simply apply the rotation matrix to the quadratic form?

5. Jan 13, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all, how did you get that quadratic form, that doesn't seem to lead to the original ellipse equation.

6. Jan 13, 2016 #5
    if you multiple by (x,y)T A (x,y) where A is the matrix stated above. Sorry I don't know how to use matrix notation on here- but the T represents transpose

7. Jan 14, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well yeah I know that, but if you really carry out the matrix operation
    $$
    \left( \begin{array}{cc}
    x & y \\
    \end{array} \right)
    %
    \left( \begin{array}{cc}
    13 & -3\sqrt{3} \\
    -\sqrt{3} &7 \\
    \end{array} \right)
    %
    \left( \begin{array}{c}
    x \\
    y
    \end{array} \right) =
    \left( \begin{array}{cc}
    x & y \\
    \end{array} \right)
    %
    \left( \begin{array}{c}
    13x-3\sqrt{3}y \\
    -\sqrt{3}x + 7y \\
    \end{array} \right) =
    13x^2 - 4\sqrt{3}xy + 7y^2
    $$
    It cannot be the same as the ellipse equation you have in your first post for whatever constant value in the right hand side.

8. Jan 14, 2016 #7
    Sorry- that was a typo on my part- both of the non-leading diagonal entries should be -3sqrt3

9. Jan 14, 2016 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What about the coefficient of ##x^2##?

10. Jan 14, 2016 #9
    Also a typo- sorry
    it is meant to be 13x^2

11. Jan 14, 2016 #10
    I unfortunately don't know how to edit my original post to correct these though

12. Jan 14, 2016 #11

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are you asked to do? Are you asked to express the rotated ellipse in quadratic form or in algebraic form?

13. Jan 14, 2016 #12
    algebraic, but in the unrotated co-ordinate system

14. Jan 14, 2016 #13

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you don't need to take a detour by going to the quadratic form since you already have the algebraic form of the original ellipse. So as I said earlier, imagine you have the ellipse in the already rotated coordinate system ##(x',y')##, which means
    $$
    13x'^2-6\sqrt{3} x'y' + 7y'^2 =16
    $$
    At the same time, you also have the matrix relation between ##(x',y')^T## and ##(x,y)^T##, related by coordinate rotation. From this, you should be able to obtain expressions for ##x'## and ##y'## in terms of ##x## and ##y## and substitute to the ellipse equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook