Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of an equation

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    This is sort of a homework question but I'm not looking for an answer. I'm just trying to understand exactly what's going on. It says "Among all the equations of the form [the general second order linear homogeneous partial differential equation], show that the only ones that are unchanged under all rotations (rotationally invariant) havce the form a(uxx + uyy) + bu =0.

What exactly does it mean for an equation to be rotated? I don't understand what's going on here very well.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would guess it means if you rotate the coordinate system through an arbitrary angle, the form of the equation stays the same, i.e. you don't get a uxy term.

4. Mar 1, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let [itex]x= x'cos(\theta)+ y' sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= -x'sin(\theta)+ y'cos(\theta)[/itex], so that [itex]x'= xcos(\theta)- ysin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y'= xsin(\theta)+ ycos(\theta)[/itex], and use the chain rule to replace [itex]u_{xx}[/itex] and [itex]u_{yy}[/itex] with derivatives in terms of x' and y' rather than x and y.

For example, [itex]u_x= u_x'(x'_x)+ u_y'(y'_x)= cos(\theta)u_x'+ sin(\theta)u_y'[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook