Rotation of cylindrical habitat in space

In summary, the article by G.K. O'Neill proposes a cylindrical habitat in space and poses the question of how to achieve Earth's gravitational field at the walls of the cylinder, given its dimensions of 6.07 km in diameter and 30 km in length. The solution involves finding the angular velocity, which is determined by the frequency and radius of the cylinder. The length of the cylinder does not affect the calculation.
tubworld
I have this question on this article by G.K. O'Neill,1974. who proposed having a cylindrical habitat in space. Then the article posed a question asking me to ponder on the speed of the rotation of the cylinder such that it wld imitate Earth's gravitational field at the walls of the cylinder given that it is 6.07 km in diameter and 30km long. It rotates abt its long axis. My working is as follows but am unsure if I am right cos I don't seem to use the information on the length of the cylinder.

radius = 6.07/2km
Since rw^2 = 9.8, and w = 2PI * f, where w=angular velocity and f=frequency,

we solve for f to get the ans.

From what I have the ans for f is 0.009043859 rev/s . am i right? If not any hints? Cos i don't seem to get the ans.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be OK. The centripital acceleration does not get influenced by the length of the cylinder. It is only a function of the radius and the angular velocity.

I would like to first commend you for taking the initiative to think critically about the proposed cylindrical habitat in space. Your approach in solving for the frequency of rotation is correct, but there are a few things to consider.

Firstly, the length of the cylinder is not mentioned in the question, so it may not be relevant in determining the frequency of rotation. However, it is important to note that the longer the cylinder, the slower the required rotation speed to simulate Earth's gravity. This is because the centrifugal force (caused by the rotation) decreases with distance from the axis of rotation.

Secondly, it is important to clarify what is meant by "imitating Earth's gravitational field at the walls of the cylinder". If it means achieving the same acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), then your approach is correct. However, if it means simulating the feeling of gravity (i.e. experiencing a downward force), then the rotation speed needs to be adjusted to account for the Coriolis force, which can cause a feeling of weightlessness.

Lastly, your answer of 0.009043859 rev/s seems reasonable based on the given information, but it would be beneficial to double-check your calculations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it may be helpful to provide the units for the frequency (rev/s or Hz).

In conclusion, your approach to solving for the frequency of rotation is correct, but it is important to consider the length of the cylinder and clarify the intended meaning of "imitating Earth's gravitational field" in order to determine the most accurate answer.

What is the purpose of rotating a cylindrical habitat in space?

The purpose of rotating a cylindrical habitat in space is to simulate gravity for the inhabitants inside. This is important for maintaining their physical and mental health, as well as allowing them to perform daily tasks such as eating, exercising, and sleeping.

How does the rotation of a cylindrical habitat in space create artificial gravity?

The rotation of a cylindrical habitat in space creates artificial gravity through centrifugal force. As the habitat rotates, the centrifugal force pushes the inhabitants towards the outer walls, simulating the feeling of gravity.

What factors determine the optimal rotation speed for a cylindrical habitat in space?

The optimal rotation speed for a cylindrical habitat in space depends on the size and shape of the habitat, as well as the desired level of artificial gravity. Additionally, the rotation speed must be carefully balanced with the structural integrity of the habitat to prevent structural damage.

How does the rotation of a cylindrical habitat in space affect the behavior of liquids and gases inside?

The rotation of a cylindrical habitat in space affects the behavior of liquids and gases inside by creating a Coriolis effect. This causes fluids to flow in curved paths and can impact processes such as water filtration and air circulation.

What are the potential challenges of rotating a cylindrical habitat in space?

Some potential challenges of rotating a cylindrical habitat in space include the need for precise control and maintenance of the rotation speed, potential issues with structural integrity, and the impact of the Coriolis effect on fluid processes. Additionally, the initial construction and launch of a rotating habitat may be more complex and expensive compared to a non-rotating one.