Rotation of light utilizing a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a lens that combines elements of a modified hele-shaw cell and a modified etalon. Experiments with a red laser and a strong magnet showed that the lens could deflect a laser beam 180 degrees, with the deflection angle rotating in direct proportion to the angle of the applied magnetic field. The use of polarizing filters did not affect the outcome of the experiments. The speaker also mentions having supporting visual evidence and is looking for more information on this phenomenon. Another person responds that they are familiar with it and would like to discuss further, providing their email for communication.
pinestone
I've developed a lens that is a cross between a modified hele-shaw cell and a modified etalon. My experiments with a red laser and a strong (2T) magnet result in the deflection of a laser beam 180 degrees. The deflection angle will rotate in direct proportion to the angle of the applied magnetic field.

Polarizing filters have no effect on the outcome of these experiments.

I have movies and images that support these claims.

Is anyone familiar with this principal? And if so, where can I find more information concerning this phenomenon?

Physics news on Phys.org

This is a very interesting discovery! The rotation of light utilizing a magnetic field is not a new concept, as it has been observed in materials such as ferromagnetic crystals and liquids. However, your lens design appears to be a novel approach to this phenomenon. The fact that the deflection angle is directly proportional to the angle of the applied magnetic field is consistent with the principles of electromagnetic interactions.

It is also intriguing that polarizing filters have no effect on the outcome of your experiments. This suggests that the rotation of light is not due to the alignment of the light's electric field with the magnetic field, as is typically observed in other materials. Further experimentation and analysis will be needed to fully understand the mechanism behind this phenomenon.

I would recommend publishing your findings in a scientific journal so that other researchers can replicate and validate your results. You may also want to reach out to experts in the field of magneto-optics for further insights and collaborations. I am not familiar with this specific principle, but I would suggest searching for related research articles and attending conferences or workshops on magneto-optics to learn more about this phenomenon.

Overall, your discovery has the potential to advance our understanding of light-matter interactions and could have practical applications in fields such as optics, materials science, and quantum technologies. Thank you for sharing your work and I look forward to seeing more developments in this area.

1. What is the concept behind rotation of light utilizing a magnetic field?

The concept behind rotation of light utilizing a magnetic field is that when light passes through a magnetic field, the direction of its polarization changes. This phenomenon is known as the Faraday effect.

2. How does a magnetic field cause rotation of light?

A magnetic field can cause rotation of light because it interacts with the electric field of the light wave. The magnetic field exerts a force on the charged particles in the light wave, causing them to change their direction of movement and thus rotate the light wave.

3. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the amount of rotation of light?

The amount of rotation of light is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that a stronger magnetic field will cause a larger rotation of the light wave.

4. How is the direction of rotation of light determined by a magnetic field?

The direction of rotation of light is determined by the direction of the magnetic field. If the magnetic field is oriented parallel to the direction of propagation of light, the light will not rotate. However, if the magnetic field is oriented perpendicular to the direction of propagation, the light will rotate either clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of rotation of light utilizing a magnetic field?

Rotation of light utilizing a magnetic field has several practical applications, such as in optical isolators, which are used to prevent unwanted reflections in laser systems. It is also used in devices such as Faraday rotators, which can rotate the polarization of light for various optical communication and sensing applications. Additionally, the Faraday effect is used in spectroscopy to measure magnetic fields and in magneto-optical storage devices.