What is the Maximum Angle to Rotate a Parabola and Still Graph as a Function?

• Thread starter Vorde
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the maximum angle that you can rotate the basic parabola (y=x^2) and still have it graphed as a function is 0 degrees or radians. Any rotation at all makes it no longer a function. This can be seen through a mathematical approach or through a more intuitive graphical approach.
Vorde
What is the maximum angle (degrees or radians) that you can rotate the basic parabola (y=x2) so that it can still be graphed as a function (y=...) with only one possible y-value per x-input.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think it's 0, because when you include the xy factor, it doesn't become a function anymore.

But more abstractly, I think it's possible to do a slight rotation, but there's an obvious cutoff point. I'm curious where that cutoff point is, it could be zero, I can't quite picture it well enough.

No, that's not correct. Any rotation at all makes it no longer a function.

Start with [itex]y= x^2[/itex]. With a rotation through an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] we can write [itex]x= x' cos(\theta)+ y' sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= x' sin(\theta)- y' cos(\theta)[/itex] where x' and y' are the new, tilted coordinates.

In this new coordinate system, the parabola becomes [tex]x'sin(\theta)- y'cos(\theta)= (x'cos(\theta)+ y'sin(\theta))^2= x'^2 cos^2(\theta)+ 2x'y'sin(\theta)cos(\theta)+ y'^2 sin^2(\theta)[/tex].

Now, if we were to fix x' and try to solve for y' we would get, for any non-zero [itex]\theta[/itex], a quadratic equation which would have two values of y for each x.

Vorde, I could not fault the logic presented by Hallsofivy, but it didn't FEEL right, so I played w/ it a bit from what I thought of as a more intuitive way of looking at it thinking it would show that at least a small rotation would work, but it clearly doesn't.

Here's how I got there. Think of a line that goes through the origin but really hugs the y axis. Let's say it has a slope of 1,000, and it has a sister line just on the other side of the y-axis with a slope of -1,000. If neither of them hit the parabola, then clearly you could rotate it by that much. It's trivially easy to show though that they both DO hit the parabola (at x = 1,000 and x=-1,000 assuming the given example of y = x^2) so Hallofivy obviously had it right and that was all a waste of time mathematically, but it DID help me see more graphically why he is right.

Both what HallsofIvy and phinds said make perfect sense to me. I had a feeling the answer might be zero, but I couldn't convince myself either way, thanks to both of you.

1. How does the rotation of a parabola affect its shape?

Rotating a parabola around its axis does not change its overall shape. However, the specific location of the vertex and the direction of the opening may change depending on the angle of rotation.

2. What is the equation for a rotated parabola?

The general equation for a rotated parabola is y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where a is the coefficient of the squared term, h and k are the coordinates of the vertex, and x and y are the coordinates of any point on the parabola.

3. How do you find the axis of rotation for a parabola?

The axis of rotation for a parabola is the line that passes through the vertex and is perpendicular to the parabola's axis of symmetry. It can be found by finding the slope of the line tangent to the parabola at the vertex and then using the negative reciprocal of that slope to find the perpendicular line.

4. Can a parabola be rotated without changing its orientation?

No, a parabola cannot be rotated without changing its orientation. A rotation will always change the direction of the parabola's opening, even if the vertex remains in the same location.

5. How is the rotation of a parabola useful in real-world applications?

Rotation of parabolas is commonly used in engineering and architecture to design structures such as bridges, arches, and domes. It can also be used in physics to model the motion of objects in projectile motion and in optics to determine the focal point of a curved mirror or lens.