How Do You Calculate Rotational Velocity from Linear Forces in Game Physics?

• Thread starter wedders
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the speaker is a programmer creating a physics based game and is using an open source engine for collisions and interactions. They are struggling with adding a flipper mechanism and understanding how to transform linear accelerations and forces into rotational velocity about a pivot point. They have a basic understanding of moments and torque but are unsure about the position of the pivot point. They have researched this topic but are still looking for clarification or alternative explanations.
wedders
Hi everyone - I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong place or something, not sure where it should go!

I'm a programmer and am writing a simple physics based game. I'm utilizing an already-made, open source physics engine which handles all the collisions and interactions - I wouldn't know where to start writing my own! I've made a few edits and additions to add some features I need, but this one's got me confused.

Basically I want a flipper type mechanism (ie, pinball machine) and therefore basically need to be able to take the linear accelerations / forces acting on the object (including gravity!) and transform them into rotational velocity about a given pivot point on the object. I did A-level physics and am aware of moments and torque, but never really understood them at the time (I had trouble with the entire "Forces and Motion" paper, to be honest), and I also don't think there's any allowance for position of the pivot point other than the distance from the force acting, which doesn't seem right to me.

I've googled this a while but wasn't really sure what I was looking for, so hopefully someone can tell me I'm a fool and reiterate the moment equations, or explain otherwise!
Thanks people!

Physics news on Phys.org
are you asking about like a rod hanging by one end?

how to model the motion of it due to gravity or other forces?

1. What is the definition of rotation of a pivoted object?

The rotation of a pivoted object refers to the movement of that object around a fixed point, known as the pivot or fulcrum, in a circular or curved path.

2. What causes an object to rotate around a pivot?

An object rotates around a pivot due to the application of a force at a distance from the pivot, known as a torque or moment. This force creates a rotational motion, causing the object to rotate around the pivot.

3. How does the position of the pivot affect the rotation of an object?

The position of the pivot can greatly affect the rotation of an object. Placing the pivot closer to the center of mass of the object will result in a smaller rotational force, while placing it further away will result in a larger rotational force.

4. What factors can affect the speed of rotation of a pivoted object?

The speed of rotation of a pivoted object can be affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the pivot to the point where the force is applied, and the mass and shape of the object being rotated.

5. Is there a relationship between the rotation of a pivoted object and its angular momentum?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between an object's rotation and its angular momentum. As an object rotates, its angular momentum increases, and a larger angular momentum will result in a more difficult rotation to stop or change direction.