1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of Rigid bodies

1. Jul 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cord is wrapped around the rim of a solid uniform wheel 0.250 m in radius and of mass 9.20 kg. A steady horizontal pull of 40.0 N to the right is exerted on the cord, pulling it off tangentially from the wheel. The wheel is mounted on frictionless bearings on a horizontal axle through its center. Find the magnitude and direction of the force that the axle exerts on the wheel

2. Relevant equations
    Newtons laws

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that there are normal force and weight along y-axis. However i'm confused whether there is any x-component force exerted by the axle on the wheel. Kindly explain me??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2009 #2
    I might be wrong as I haven't reached this subject matter just yet, but I think you need to take into consideration the fact that there is 0 linear translation of the center of mass.

Another force is suddenly required.

4. Jul 29, 2009 #3
    can u plz explain it with little more details??

5. Jul 29, 2009 #4
    The center of mass isn't moving, what does that say about the net force acting on the mass?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook