1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of Rigid Body

1. Feb 13, 2006 #1
    A metre rule is freely pivoted about its centre. A piece of mud of mass 20g travelling at 5ms-1 strikes and sticks to one end of the rule so that the rule starts to rotate in a horizontal circle. If the moment of Inertia of the rule and the mud about the pivot is 0.02kgm^2, the initial angular velocity of the rule is....(Answer:2.5rads-1)

I have made assumption that the momentum of the mud is transfer solely to
    the angular momentum. (mv=Iw)
    I got the answer 5 rads-1, obviously wrong. I believe that my assumption is wrong. How should I attempt this question?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2
    mks units

hi harmony

make sure you convert all units to m-> meters, k-> kilograms, and s-> seconds...then you should get the correct answer with your assumption.

ahhh actually im wrong i was reading your post backwards. i thought 5 rad/s was the correct answer...gonna have to think about this for a little while

gabe

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?