1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of Vectors

1. Jun 24, 2015 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hello,

I have a problem with rotation matrices, its just a comparison problem. Θ must be 240 or -120, I don't know how the book show the answer like that, these are the two matrices

\begin{array}--1/2&\sqrt{(3)}/2\\-\sqrt{(3)}/2&-1/2\end{array}

with

\begin{array}ccosΘ&-sinΘ\\sinΘ&cosΘ\end{array}

- I tried to take element 1,1 and 2,1 , it gives 120 & -60. How is that suppose to be 240 or -120?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2015 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you match the 11 and 21 components, you get two equations. Each of these equations has two solutions in the interval [0,360). Only one of the two solutions to the first equation will be a solution to the second equation as well.

4. Jun 25, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the first column of your matrix: you have ##\cos(\theta) = -1/2## and ##\sin(\theta) = -\sqrt{3}/2##. Since both ##\sin(\theta)## and ##\cos(\theta)## are ##< 0##, in what quadrant must ##\theta## lie? Just draw a picture of you need more insight.

5. Jun 26, 2015 #4
    -120 and 240 is the same angle.

6. Jun 26, 2015 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nitpick: They're equivalent, but not the same. (cos 240,sin 240) and (cos(-120),sin(-120)) are however the same point in ##\mathbb R^2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted