1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation on a plane

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On a X-Y plane we have a square with its 4 corners A(3,1) B(7,3) C(2,6) D(0,2).
    We are to rotate the rest of the square around the point A clockwise by 70 degrees.

2. Relevant equations
    (I am not sure how they are called in English)
    The rotation matrix 2x2 1st row: cosa ,-sina 2nd row: sina, cosa - call it G(a) so that
    X' = G(a) * X

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to use this matrix transposition or conversion (not sure how it is called) when I am rotating a vector around the 0-point, but I don't know how to rotate a vector around a point on the plane.

EDIT: Just as I posted this I got a revelation - I will Rotate the vector AB using the rotation matrix and then add point A's x and y coordinate respectively to the product of the matrixes. And all the same with the other corners - construct vector AC AD and deja vu.

Now there is a question:
    When I do the product of G(a) * A , where A is the vector matrix - the vector spins counterclockwise, but when I do the product of AT * G(a) - the vector spins clockwise. I don't understand why - does it mean that AT * G(a) = G(-a) * A?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the rotation matrix,
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & -sin(\theta) \\ sin(\theta) & cos(\theta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    is orthogonal- its columns or rows, considered as vectors, are "orthonormal", perpendicular and of length 1.

Also, the transpose is, as you say, equal to the reverse rotation:
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & sin(\theta) \\ -sin(\theta) & cos(\theta)\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}cos(-\theta) & -sin(-\theta) \\ sin(-\theta) & cos(-\theta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    because cosine is an "even" function and sine is an "odd" function:
    [itex]cos(-\theta)= cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]sin(-\theta)= -sin(\theta)[/itex].

4. Jan 24, 2013 #3
    Funny looking square!

5. Jan 24, 2013 #4
    Yes I know it's not a square :D But that's what the assignment said, it's not important though. I guess you can call it a polygonia or however it is called in English :/

Also thanks HallsofIvy - read some about it and played around with the numbers a bit and I understand how it works :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook