How Does the Rotation Operator Affect Spin in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: When we say that Sz is the generator of rotation, we do NOT mean that applying Sz will rotate the state. We mean that the exponential of ## i S \theta /\hbar ## will rotate the state by an angle ##\theta##. This was you showed above, with an angle $\phi/2$.
cristianbahena
for compute:
$$e^{\frac{iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}S_x e^{\frac{-iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}$$
so, if we use $$S_x=(\frac{\hbar}{2})[(|+><-|)+(|-><+|)]$$
$$e^{\frac{iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}(\frac{\hbar}{2})[(|+><-|)+(|-><+|)] e^{\frac{-iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}$$
so, why that is equal to $$(\frac{\hbar}{2})[\frac{i\phi}{2}|+><-|\frac{i\phi}{2}+\frac{-i\phi}{2}|-><+|\frac{-i\phi}{2}]$$

??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cristianbahena said:
for compute:
$$e^{\frac{iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}S_x e^{\frac{-iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}$$
$$e^{\frac{iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}(\frac{\hbar}{2})[(|+><-|)+(|-><+|)] e^{\frac{-iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}$$
so, why that is equal to $$(\frac{\hbar}{2})[e^{\frac{i\phi}{2}}|+><-|\frac{i\phi}{2}+\frac{-i\phi}{2}|-><+|\frac{-i\phi}{2}]$$

??
Are you sure you typed the last expression correctly?

nrqed said:
Are you sure you typed the last expression correctly?
thanks! now it is correct

Ok. But this is strange, I would expect exponentials of ##i\phi/2## instead of just factors of ## i \phi/2##. You are sure there are no exponentials in the final result??

Of course there should be exponentials since the ##|\pm \rangle## kets are eigenvectors or ##\hat{S}_z##, that's very easy to see in the notation given in the OP.

vanhees71 said:
Of course there should be exponentials since the ##|\pm \rangle## kets are eigenvectors or ##\hat{S}_z##, that's very easy to see in the notation given in the OP.
Indeed. I was trying to lead the OP to the answer without giving it away too quickly :-)

Likes vanhees71
nrqed said:
Ok. But this is strange, I would expect exponentials of ##i\phi/2## instead of just factors of ## i \phi/2##. You are sure there are no exponentials in the final result??

sorry!

for compute:
$$e^{\frac{iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}S_
x e^{\frac{-iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}$$
so, why that is equal to $$(\frac{\hbar}{2})[e^{\frac{i\phi}{2}}|+><-|e^{\frac{i\phi}{2}}+e^{\frac{-i\phi}{2}}|-><+|e^{\frac{-i\phi}{2}}]$$

??

cristianbahena said:
sorry!

for compute:
$$e^{\frac{iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}S_
x e^{\frac{-iS_z\phi}{\hbar}}$$
so, why that is equal to $$(\frac{\hbar}{2})[e^{\frac{i\phi}{2}}|+><-|e^{\frac{i\phi}{2}}+e^{\frac{-i\phi}{2}}|-><+|e^{\frac{-i\phi}{2}}]$$

??
Good, now we are talking!

The next step is this: do you know what we get if we apply ##S_z## to ##|+ \rangle ## ?

The next question is: do you know what we get if we apply ##e^{ S_z} ## ti ## |+ \rangle ##?
(I did not include the factors of ##i\phi/\hbar## for now, we can put them back at the next step).

"nrqed said:
Good, now we are talking!

The next step is this: do you know what we get if we apply ##S_z## to ##|+ \rangle ## ?

The next question is: do you know what we get if we apply ##e^{ S_z} ## ti ## |+ \rangle ##?
(I did not include the factors of ##i\phi/\hbar## for now, we can put them back at the next step).

i know that
$$S_z |+ >= \frac{\hbar}{2} |+ >$$

also $$ D_z(\phi)= 1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\phi$$ operator of infinitesimal rotations, if we apply this operator $$n$$ times:

$$ (D_z(\phi))^n= (1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\frac{\phi}{n})^n$$ in the limit $$ lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(D_z(\phi))^n= lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\frac{\phi}{n})^n=e^{ \frac{iS_z\phi}{\hbar}} $$
im not sure why $$n$$ is pressent in $$\frac{\phi}{n}$$ when apply n-times operator D
so
i think that:
we have

$$D_z(\phi)|+ >=1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\phi|+>=(1+\frac{i\phi}{2})|+>$$
then

$$(D_z(\phi))^n|+ >=(1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\frac{\phi}{n})^n|+>=(1+\frac{i\phi}{2})^n|+>$$
in the limit:
$$lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(D_z(\phi))^n|+ >=lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\frac{\phi}{n})^n|+>=lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{i\phi}{2})^n|+>=e^{\frac{i\phi}{2}}|+>$$but also

$$S_z$$ is the generator of rotations so i f we apply $$S_z$$ to $$|+>$$ know the new ket was just rotated $$\phi^{'}$$, so the new ket is $$e^{i\phi^{'}}|+>$$ how i know that $$\phi^{'}= \phi$$?

Last edited:
cristianbahena said:
i know that
$$S_z |+ >= \frac{\hbar}{2} |+ >$$

also $$ D_z(\phi)= 1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\phi$$ operator of infinitesimal rotations, if we apply this operator $$n$$ times:

$$ (D_z(\phi))^n= (1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\frac{\phi}{n})^n$$ in the limit $$ lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(D_z(\phi))^n= lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\frac{\phi}{n})^n=e^{ \frac{iS_z\phi}{\hbar}} $$
im not sure why $$n$$ is pressent in $$\frac{\phi}{n}$$ when apply n-times operator D
so
i think that:
we have

$$D_z(\phi)|+ >=1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\phi|+>=(1+\frac{i\phi}{2})|+>$$
then

$$(D_z(\phi))^n|+ >=(1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\frac{\phi}{n})^n|+>=(1+\frac{i\phi}{2})^n|+>$$
in the limit:
$$lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(D_z(\phi))^n|+ >=lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(1+i\frac{S_z}{\hbar}\frac{\phi}{n})^n|+>=lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{i\phi}{2})^n|+>=e^{\frac{i\phi}{2}}|+>$$
Good work. That's all you need to answer the problem

but also

$$S_z$$ is the generator of rotations so i f we apply $$S_z$$ to $$|+>$$ know the new ket was just rotated $$\phi^{'}$$, so the new ket is $$e^{i\phi^{'}}|+>$$ how i know that $$\phi^{'}= \phi$$?
When we say that Sz is the generator of rotation, we do NOT mean that applying Sz will rotate the state. We mean that the exponential of ## i S \theta /\hbar ## will rotate the state by an angle ##\theta##. This was you showed above, with an angle ##\phi/2##.

nrqed said:
Good work. That's all you need to answer the problem

When we say that Sz is the generator of rotation, we do NOT mean that applying Sz will rotate the state. We mean that the exponential of ## i S \theta /\hbar ## will rotate the state by an angle ##\theta##. This was you showed above, with an angle ##\phi/2##.
Good! Thanks

1. What is the rotation operator of spin?

The rotation operator of spin is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of spin particles, such as electrons, in a rotating frame of reference. It is represented as a matrix that describes how the spin state of a particle changes when it is subjected to a rotation.

2. How is the rotation operator of spin derived?

The rotation operator of spin is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and the theory of angular momentum. It is based on the fact that spin particles have an intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, that is independent of their orbital angular momentum. This operator is then used to calculate the spin state of a particle after it has been rotated in space.

3. What does the rotation operator of spin tell us?

The rotation operator of spin tells us how the spin state of a particle changes when it is rotated in space. This includes the direction and magnitude of the spin, as well as any changes in its orientation. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of spin particles in different experimental setups and environments.

4. How is the rotation operator of spin used in experiments?

The rotation operator of spin is used in experiments to manipulate and measure the spin state of particles. By applying certain rotations to a particle, scientists can control its spin and observe how it affects the particle's behavior. This operator is also used to calculate the probabilities of different spin states in quantum systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the rotation operator of spin?

While the rotation operator of spin is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons and protons, and cannot be used to describe the spin of larger particles or systems. Additionally, it does not account for relativistic effects, which may be important in high-energy scenarios.