1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation operators

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the matrix representation of the rotation operator
    [itex] R(\phi k) [/itex] using the states |+z> and |-z> as a basis. Using your matrix representation verify that [itex] R^{\dagger}R=1 [/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Do I need to write [itex] R| \psi> [/itex] in terms of a matrix.
    If I have [itex] |\psi>=a|+z>+b|-z> [/itex]
    Then do I just operate R on [itex] \psi [/itex] and then write this in terms of a matrix.
    are these related to the Pauli spin matrices

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure exactly what you had in mind, but it's probably not the most straightforward way to solve this problem.
    Yes. Remember that the spin operators ##\hat{S}_x##, ##\hat{S}_y##, and ##\hat{S}_z## are generators of rotations. (This is definitely covered in your textbook.) Use that fact to calculate R.

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    ok thanks for your help. My book gives the matrix for R and it is in the z basis.
    And I took [itex] R^{\dagger}R [/itex] and it equaled one. But If the matrix wasn't in the
    z basis would I use the roatation matrix to get the answer.
    I would take [itex] S^{\dagger}RS [/itex] and this would give the correct R for the problem.

5. Sep 23, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't understand what you're asking. Well, I sorta do, but I'd like you to clarify your question. What is S? How did you find S?

6. Sep 23, 2012 #5
    [itex] s= \[left (begin{array}{cc}<+z|+x>& <+z|-x>\\ <-z|+x>& <-z|-x> \end{array}\right)\][/itex]
    where the bras are what basis I am going to and the kets are the basis that I was in. I don't really know how S is derived though

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  7. Sep 23, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's the regular method you use to change bases. You're doing the same thing you learned in linear algebra. It's just the notation that's different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook