1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation qns which i am stuck for 2 hours

1. Aug 21, 2005 #1

Wen

I have been stuck at this qns for 2 hours.

A gymnast often toss a hoop forward while giving it a backward spin. the hoop has a radius R and mass M, and is thrown forward with speed V. Find the minimum backward angular velocity w the gymnast must give in order to make sure it spin back eventually . Take both its static and kinectic coefficent of friction to be #.

Since friction is acting , its nett torque is not 0. Hence conserv. of angular momentum cannot be applied.

if its nett torque is Mg#R, how should i relate this to the translational and rotational K.E.?

Please teach me how to solve this.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2005 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

if the torque is taken about contect point(bottum) then torque due to all three forces is zero and we can conserve angular momentum.

4. Aug 22, 2005 #3

Wen

so 1/2 I w^2= 1/2 MV^2 ?

5. Aug 22, 2005 #4
    yes, the kinetic energy of a rolling object is, as you have stated:
    [tex] KE_{rolling} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}I{\omega}^2 [/tex]

if the object is on the veeeeeeerge of rolling backwards, or back to the thrower, the inequality you have stated works.

Regards,

Nenad

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?