1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation Question

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A merry-go-round rotates from rest with an angular acceleration of 1.65 rad/s2. How long does it take to rotate through (a) the first 2.53 rev and (b) the next 2.53 rev?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to do this and I converted the rev to radians by multiplying the revolutions by 2pi and then for (a) I divided 15.896/1.65 and got 6.28 seconds (15.896 is 2.53(2pi))and for (b) I divided 31.79/1.65 to get 19.3 seconds. What am I doing wrong here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Check your units, this doesn't work out to seconds.

What equation relates time, angular displacement, and angular acceleration?
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    theta-theta initial= w initial(t) + (1/2)at^2?
  5. Oct 24, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

What do you get for the time with that equation?
  6. Oct 25, 2007 #5
    For (a) I got 1.75seconds and for (b) I got 2.48 seconds. I used 2.53 as the first displacement and for w I put in 0 and for acceleration I put 1.65 and then solved for t and that's what I got, and for the second part I put in 5.06 for the displacement. What am I doing wrong?
  7. Oct 25, 2007 #6

Homework Helper

You need to change this into radians before using it in your calculations. Your units are not consistent otherwise. Try part (a) again with that change.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?