1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation Question

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region R, that is bounded by the graphs y = sqrt x, and y = sqrt (2x-1) and y = 0, about the x-axis

2. Relevant equations

The 3 equations
    y= sqrt x
    y = sqrt (2x-1)
    y = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, the tricky part of this problem is that the 2 curves, x^(1/2) and (2x-1)^(1/2) intersect at just 1 point, which is 1. So it's not your usual problem. Nonetheless, it is still a closed region.

So here is what I decided to do

find the volume of the region sqrt(x) rotated from 0 to 1 around the x-axis. Then find the volume of the region sqrt(2x-1) rotated from 1/2 (because that is when it is equal y=0) and 1, and then subtract the first and bigger volume from the smaller one.

I ended up with pi/4.

Good strategy?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi ssk13809! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a square-root: √ :wink:)
    Perfect! :biggrin:

(though i haven't checked the answer)

(an alternative, if you want to have just one integral, but with both limits variable, would be to slice it into horizontal cylindrical shells of thickness dy …

do you want to to see whether that gives the same result? :wink:)
  4. Mar 2, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the feedback!

I never learned the shell method or the cylindrical method, so I would be curious to see how that works.
  5. Mar 2, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, using two circular cookie-cutters (or napkin-rings, if you're posh :wink:), cut a slice of thickness dx … that will be a cylindrical shell.

Its volume will be 2π times its radius times its length times dx. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook